RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Specific Skin Color Toning

Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Re: Specific Skin Color Toning

Hello,

I was fascinated by gavin's skin too. Tones are very pleasing and gentle. I was trying to emulate it my self here : http://nebulaoperator.deviantart.com/#/d56k18t
Well I am still working on my ways of achieving it but I believe I get closer with each try.
If you take at his tone palette you'll notice they vary from mild orange to to desaturated green orange having said that you will also notice that the skin tone not only consist of uniform skin tone but has one on the shadow one on the midtones and the highlights. here you have to local adjustments. I don't know what method you will choose but I have worked with masks revealing bit by bit different tones there and there.There was also involved gradient map and solid colour layer.
Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM

Ugh.. someone necroed this? You really need large enough lighting to get that due to the way skin reflects light. Much of it comes from subcutaneous reflections which migrate the reflection to a certain degree beneath the surface while things like oil on the surface reflect a more specular (somewhat) colorless/white highlight. Some of this stuff is done in post. The semi glow in the iris on number 2 may have been there initially, but it's definitely accentuated. You get that more from natural lighting due to receiving reflections from a number of angles. It's much larger than a studio light source although you can approximate that by using extremely large light sources relatively close to the subject (or even better enormous light sources a bit further away, but these things become cost prohibitive very quickly). The color from there is a lot of balancing to get the hues close enough, and sometimes some d/b work to bring out the shape. It's incredibly difficult to really draw in really really nice gradation if they don't get some of it in the initial lighting. While it's possible, the behavior of skin can be pretty complex. Noting sample 2 again, you'll notice that the pronounced shadow is much darker and somewhat different in color, yet you retain detail and some slight changes within that region. I can tell this has a lot of post work given the relative hardness at one point and the flat spots on her forehead. It could have also been an issue of makeup, but you have to understand what is happening there. There are pronounced regions of highlight and shadow with more subtle differences within them, then of course details like accentuated eyes and highlights in the hair keep it from looking flat and attempt to keep you focused on the image. If the skin goes totally flat and becomes virtually unchanging in a given region, this effect tends to evaporate quickly.

Okay that's my response .

More about the behavior here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsurface_scattering
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM

kav great tips and link !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching