RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

what about this style?

Old 11-24-2011, 04:15 AM

what about this style?

Iwould like to do something that is similar to this style, I´ve seen it around in some portfolios, Dave Hill got some pictures in this style, what do you think? how is this done?? thanks!!

a bigger picture can be found here: http://www.swietochowski.pl/ at the last page of the commercial shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skärmavbild 2011-11-24 kl. 11.13.00.jpg (68.6 KB, 338 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2011, 04:07 AM

Re: what about this style?

Lighting, workflow

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 02:56 AM

Tareq: oh, so you think it´s all about the lightning and the workflow. I think you are right on spot!!!! Thank you very much for your time-consuming thoughts, they are very interesting and bright. you are a real pro! you don´t have to waste your energy on me, I will be just fine whiteout that kind off commentaries. They don´t take me a second closer to the target.

anyone else that have any thoughts about how to get this style, it´s so bright, but still so high contrast.
thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Patron

This appears to be a composite image the family group shot probably in studio the background shot seperately.

The workflow likely to include Curves layer possibly a reverse S curve to the Blue channel and general 'tweaking' to adjust colour balance
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 PM

What a delightful and an AMAZING photography, combined with finessed retouching! Thanks for the share, Peter.

Some of Mr. Swietochowski's images resemble Mr. Olaf's while others look like Mr. Hill's. Definitely adding his website to my list of inspirations!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Whether this is a composite or not, you're dealing with multiple light sources here. I bet HMI from the back or some profoto head to get through sunlight.

A shadow from the boy closest to the right feels like brushed though. Based on that assumption I may say that the people scene was shot in the studio.

Then comes the artifical sun haze and lens flare of the very same origin. Add the gradient map to warm up and bump the details in shadows.

Remember it's most likely a telecom ad with a complex workflow, running on a high budget.

Last edited by insmac; 11-29-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 AM

According to the sand, the sun is camera-left. But the lighting on the subjects is camera right. Even if it was done on location, it could be a composite. The subjects don't seem to cast any real shadows.

The color and light-cast effects might come from a variety of things, including profile swapping, solid color layers, RGB curves, and different ways to suggest a slightly "cross-processed" look.

Many of the pictures in this interesting portfolio look as though they might have been done as composites, possibly using Lucis/Topaz and/or HDR for different parts of the image. It's a Dragan-esque style that obviously involves extensive local-contrast enhancements. This image comes up very large and clean, and looks like medium format digital might have been the source.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 AM

OK, back to old posts, did you get the answer and find the way to do it?

Sorry for my very short answer, i may go in detailed one, but i was saving your time as you should start to do lighting session and practice on the workflow, believe me, if you did that then you will not come back and forth here to ask, but i understand how you feel about my answer, in all cases, most of those amazing look i see on the net are based on 2 main factors:

1. Lighting
2. Post processing or workflow

Whatever else are just addition efforts.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching