RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Reverse engineering: Grant Thomas

Old 11-26-2011, 04:55 AM

Reverse engineering: Grant Thomas

Hi,
I came across a pretty awesome Welsh photographer - Grant Thomas. His signed with the Jed Root agency. I'm quite intrigued by his style, because at first glance it looked to me like it's shot film. As far as I'm aware though, he's sponsored by Sony, so he shoots digital. His portfolio is available here http://www.jedroot.com/photogr/gt1/thomas-portfolio.php

However let's focus on one image, which totally blew my mind: http://goo.gl/AJyoQ

Just one question: how? someone please explain the retouching done over here.

I understand that skin was retouched using split frequencies, facial colour was unified to one tone, then shadows re-processed using a bluish tint. But how do they retain the illusion of depth even though the face highlights seem completely flat?

And check the specular highlights in the eyes, isn't there something dodgy about them?

EDIT: Link should work now, sorry.

Last edited by onesh0t; 11-26-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2011, 06:24 AM

Re: Reverse engineering: Grant Thomas

http://www.jedroot.com/images/fashio...1-night-03.jpg <<< It's not work work.

I'm not sure at all but with BW images I think it's seems that used HiRaLoAm with USM and smart sharpen with midtone method to shappen. You can try split frequencies, using smart sharppen at HF and HiRaLoAm at LF.
I read somewhere in this forum and seen some people use this techniques but now I do not remember where.
Sorry if this is not right way, someone please correct me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 AM

http://goo.gl/AJyoQ - sorry, link should work now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Retouching-wise, this isn't extremely complicated. The skin retouching is restrained and retains a natural look. It also helps that her face is lit in such a way as to hide major flaws. Her eyebrows still look natural and not overly cleaned up. Her hairline is also minimally retouched.
The key to Mr. Thomas' look is in his use of light and color. The lighting sets the mood for the imagery. I'm not much of a photographer, so I can't speculate on the practical realization of the lighting. The color treatment can be done in either photoshop, or whatever capture software he uses such as Capture One, Lightroom, etc.
It also doesn't hurt that he uses very capable stylists and interesting models. The images wouldn't have as much of an impact if the subjects in front of the camera were not captivating.

I did some research and found this page:
http://1dak.com/bow/glamour-photos-p...-grant-thomas/

It shows his earlier work, and I've seen these images in several retoucher's portfolio sites. Thomas is 18, so this newer work (on the Jed Root site) showcases a more refined look, and, this might sound corny, but the fact that he's 18 would suggest to me that he's totally comfortable playing around in his capture software and/or photoshop to come up with these looks. I love that such good work is coming from someone so young, it's very inspiring.

If you're looking to do something similar, play around with your levels of black density so that the blacks aren't as dense, kind of "hazing" them over. You can do this in levels or curves. Then, add some magenta and cyan into the lower 3/4 tones while maintaining the levels of green and blue in the highlights. It depends on what your initial capture looks like as to how far you go with these adjustments.

Honestly, the majority of these color treatment questions can be resolved by just playing around in levels or curves, and developing a working knowledge of what they do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 PM

thanks for the reply eraanexact, I didn't visit the forum for a while. I'll look into it, I'll play around with a similar concept if I get a chance on the next shoot, that should get me a good base and play around with it in post.

Yeah, he's shooting for well known brands at the age of 18. He's style is quite distinctive which, I suppose, helps a lot.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching