RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do you make even gradient skin transition?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 AM

Re: How do you make even gradient skin transition?

I think it good, although it needs a bit more carving light. To do this, properly as De_W say we need practice, or you can learn about human anatomy and try drawing exercises.
You can try softlight 50% gray fill (or curver) layer with big soft brush to carving light or you can see this video from a member of MM. I asked him for blur layer Softlight and he answered.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?th...46&page=1#last

Der_W: you should to post videos more often. You have many special techniques Thks for your videos.

Last edited by adtechniques; 12-01-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 AM

firstly ,i can not image the picture you link from the photobucket is a picture photoshoped .some times ,we spend hours to ps a cheap photoshopphoto,it is better find a real thing take a camera ,a real photo.

secendly,i to retouch the skin ,buy photoshop you d better create a layer and modify the effect you want ,slowly and slowly.

for me i prefer use a plugin ,TOPAZ。it can do some thing good effects .

Last edited by kvtoiy; 12-28-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM

@adtechniques
Thank you for this helpful video.Till now I never used blurred 50 grey. This is very helpful.
@Der_W
Can you explain a : ,,FWIW blurring the low frequency information is technically a bandstop.,,
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM

@nebulaoperator:
I think if you google the way that high-pass, low-pass and band-pass filters work you will understand what Jonas means, in terms of which frequencies you are neutralizing. It is all over my head, so I will await Jonas' explanation.

However, I will say that the method I use for blurring low frequency, which I kind of made up on my own, is much more refined than the inverted high-pass, band-stop filter. I normally lasso areas that need more transition, then I command J them to a new layer and then apply the right gaussian blur. I might then lower opacity, set to "lighter color" or "darker color" depending on my needs or mask out some areas. I put all those blends in a folder and turn it off and on to be sure I like the progress I am making and continue tweaking. I find that this gives me more of a nice control over the underlying tonal gradient to help me achieve a vision I already have in mind. This method is not something to use if you do not already have an artistic vision of what you want to accomplish but it is a more subtle way of blending tones in some cases. It sounds time consuming but it actually works very fast for me with keyboard shortcuts. We all have our own little weird methods we've evolved that work well for us
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM

p.s.
for macro d&b (since most of it is dodge), lately I've taken to doing much of it with a screen dodge layer. I set the layer to screen bend mode and then I sample local color to paint with on low opacity/low flow. I've found that this method seems to give me more of the color shift I want, more so than the softlight method, because I can paint in screen mode with a dark color in the darker areas that need to brighten up. I feel like it offers me more control than the dodge curve does but maybe that is all in my mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Personally, I like your version, and I would say I prefer it, but in terms of creating a more surreal effect I gave it a couple more steps. Tell me if this is what you have in mind.

I ran another freq. separation on your file and smoothed the transitions using my blur on the low freq. method. (You could also get something kind of similar using the IHP painted in with a mask. I prefer to always use the 'blend if' sliders on the layer style menu when using IHP.) Then I added some global d&b using softlight, to increase/bring back the contrast of the cheek and the hair. Then I added a bit of a glow over the highlights using a color range selection filled with white, blurred on reduced opacity overlay blend mode. This highlight part may be too much for your taste, and maybe for mine, but it does heighten the drama.

Cheers,
Amy

p.s.
Very nice work and a beautiful image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redo.jpg (95.6 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Siciliana; 12-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:26 PM

@Sicilian
I have tried your method of lassoing piece of skin/area and then blur it mode darken or colour it gives me no visible effect. Sorry
Then I tried to blur LF not sure if I get desired effect again. Maybe it is me doing it wrong way.
Isn't it bandstop a filter to allow only desired F to pass. But in this case which one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Also, the eyes are really great on this image. For my personal taste, I would do a little more work to on the entire eye area. Maybe a tad more luminosity overall, especially under the eye in the shadow and on the lid. Really just micro changes here and there. I also feel like I am noticing the grayish tone of the roots of her hair. I might warm that up a little to match the surrounding hair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM

If you give me an email address I can email you the PSD so you can see what I did. You can look at the blend modes and opacities of the blurs--often I leave them on normal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:31 PM

@Sicilian
Hey thank you for that effort really appreciate. Please don"t get offended just I can sense that blur now. In terms of transition yes it looks better then my one.
What I also find on my one is the global transition between highlights and darks is not so smooth. It feels a bit fragmented to me if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching