RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do you make even gradient skin transition?

Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Re: How do you make even gradient skin transition?

For carving I mostly use standard black and white colors. In rare cases where there is discoloration, it can also help to pick up a bright and a dark skin color and desaturate them to do your dodge & burn, but for carving I don't think, I ever needed to do this :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 PM

I like the third attempt! I think you struck the right balance there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 PM

To resume this thread for now I found that DnB is most important step to smooth skin gradient transition. And only on top of that can be applied other short cuts/help with reasonable consideration in order to preserve natural skin. Still way to go but happy to come to that conclusion my self.
Thank you very much Der_W Siciliana taking your time and guiding me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 PM

I never did get back to this, but I should say that I tried using Jonas' idea. Using a channel as a mask, I created a mask for part of the face that was lighter than 50% luminosity, and used that for the B/C layer that was set to lighten. I inverted the mask and created a mask for the parts of the face that were darker than 50% luminosity and used that for the B/C layer set to darken. Playing with the effect/opacity produced an effect that was better than the regular IHP.

I personally do not like the IHP. I see a lot of retouchers that use it and it is obvious to recognize because it leaves a sort of repeating pattern in the pores. The way that Gry Garness uses it is more appropriate. She calls it "digital powder". To begin with she slides the "blend if sliders" in order to get a more realistic effect without the weird edges, than she masks it completely. From there she uses a low flow/low opacity brush to apply it lightly, as you would apply a make-up powder, just a little to tighten the pores, that's all--after you've already done the d&b.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM

To be honest I like using luminosity masks every where fro changing light to colouring. Luminosity is my very good friend
I have Gry's book and her methods amaze me by her simplicity and of course if slider thing.
)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
Thank you everyone and here is my second try: http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1322786667
I agree that theres a lot I like about the original version and teh latest is too much for my taste. I like that it holds more of the natural skin. I don't think it needs a whole lot more, fix the hotspot. go a bit further with evening the tone in spots but not as far as you did. I also think cropping this image would make it a lot stronger and then playing with the color.

I personally like some things Francesco Carrozini is doing in this regard. some of his images have spots/ smudges that other retouchers wouldn't leave. Maybe its a mistake but I think it has a nice effect in his images.

http://www.thing-of-beauty.com/heidi...-vogue-germany
I think the clone stamp was used here a lot for the film like skin texture.
but this is a softer retouch, more portrait style than the glamour style I think you are going for.

this color one maybe more along what you are going for and shows the same thing
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4...arrozzini9.jpg

its the image on the right and I know this is too small to tell but I just saw this image the other day and I dont see it online anywhere now that Im searching for it.

his sites a bit cumbersome but you may find itthere, ill keep looking
http://www.francescocarrozzini.com/

as far as skin goes for beauty Amy dresser is a great retoucher obviously but I tend to look to Rankin's work for nice skin and I have no idea who does it.
http://rankin.co.uk/beauty

I wish I could tell you how to get closer to these guys but Im just not there, or closer to what I want to do anyway.

a look I think you are going for that could also be really nice is this that terry richardson "did" for YSL
http://womenmanagement.blogspot.com/...fall-2010.html

again I wish I could get you there from what you have and I'm confident its possible but I just havent gotten there either and maybe someone else will be able to guide you better. It 'd be helpful for me too.

hope its good inspiration anyway.

cheers
rp
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
Third try: http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1322843770
this one was back to square one . more pixel DnB Little bit of curving and a touch of IHP.
I posted without seeing there was a second page that had your third version.

I think that's really nice skin. You still may want to do something about that hotspot on the forehead if Im looking for things. Also, still think cropping would make the image stronger. I like the idea of the feather background color and texture but its too blurred to add more than it takes away from so much space.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 AM

@r*po

Thanks for input and lots of links. It is the hardest part to translate ideas . I find it not very easy. Talking about crop I don't find right crop for this image. I tried quiet a few times just doesn't feel right to me. How would you crop it?
Hotspot starting to annoy me though but still feel chillax about it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching