Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

tonal depth

Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM
tonal depth

there is some tonal technique this guy uses in his photography, either in the lighting or in post. Can anyone figure it out? I know he uses a mix of constant and flash lighting, but that's all I know. I'm not eager to steal it, just eager to learn.

here are some examples:

Another photographer who uses this effect. I wonder if it's just an overlay gradient or something?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Re: tonal depth

Well, I don't think each of those images is created in the same way. To start with, why don't you try putting a curves adj. layer on multiply blend mode and reduce opacity to taste? You can then also make changes in the curve, either the RGB or in the channels to further tweak your effect.

You can also try copying your base layer and setting the blend mode of the copy to luminosity, then use the black and what adjustment on that layer to fiddle around with the luminance of the color tones. Or you could put that layer on a reduced opacity multiply or linear burn for some other effects.

In other words, there are a lot of ways to get there, but it depends how much you want to tweak the original. I think curves is always a good way to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Re: tonal depth

It seems to me at least a half of these are taken outdoors in a cloudy weather. Or it might me a studio facility with glass rooftop; that way you can achieve mild lighting yet with rich, deep shadows. Also a silver reflector to add 'metallic feel' to the highlights or it can be fill-in flash as well.

As for the postprocess... an usual gradient map blended as soft light, masked is a good start. I'd split highlights and shadows and tweak these two curves to the taste. There is a load of options to achieve this look yet these samples are treated nicely.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching