RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is it my monitor or my technique ?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Re: Is it my monitor or my technique ?

Interesting topic, and I've been in this situation myself. I believe John's mind-eye/ perceptual issues are real and are intruiging.

I want to point out however, regardless of the cause of the harsh transition on Buso's display ( or in Buso's eye-mind interoperation), IF the transition appears smooth on at least one device, then that is not an optical illusion or display issue, its real, that transition IS smooth

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
--Shift Studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 12-11-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Patron

shift studio I would not presume to say that you are wrong about viewing device differences however it could also be argued that if one device the transition appears smooth then that device could be incorrect and the others correct, but how can you tell?

My gut feeling is that this is as John said an optical illusion (similar in a way to the illusion one gets when sharpening - but on a larger scale).

I still feel that one of the problems here is too light a shadow and too large a blur. If you look at my attachment and wait a few seconds you can see just how large the blur is (applied curves to highlight). It is also quite noticeable the edge effect of the blur that is not as noticeable on the normal image but IMO still there and causing issues. Of course this might just be artefacting due to image size restrictions

As the gif quality poor have posted another image to compare
Attached Images
File Type: gif ShadowBlur.gif (98.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ShadowBlur2.jpg (96.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Tony W; 12-11-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added image
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
shift studio I would not presume to say that you are wrong about viewing device differences however it could also be argued that if one device the transition appears smooth then that device could be incorrect and the others correct, but how can you tell?
I don't have any documented proof, just in my experience - in instances like this, displays tend towards 'dropping' off the near whites creating an abrupt line and not the reverse. i.e. the don't take a harsh transition and smooth it out...

yes, the OP's illustrated shadow is not dark enough, it should be crisper, it should have grain/noise matching the photographic element...

--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
IF the transition appears smooth on at least one device, then that is not an optical illusion or display issue, its real, that transition IS smooth

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
--Shift Studio.
That is a good question and I do not know the answer. For any image in question I would view it at 100% to make sure there are no anomalies and also at the approximate print size on the screen. If it doesn't look like a problem I wouldn't worry about it.

Your question about if it looks good on the screen (at least one screen) are you good to go. Not sure. That might work for gradients. The trick that I have seen to not have this issue is to have a smooth tail on the gradient. The eye is good at seeing edges which from a math standpoint is the rate of change of the gradient. If the gradient has a sudden change (e.g. black to white gradient right into a white field) then the illusions will be there. Using gradients set with the control at a high level of smoothness helps and also as others already suggested adding a blur seems to make a big difference.

However, if you are asking "can I make adjustments on my calibrated monitor and it looks good then I am good to go?" I would say most of the time yes. In some cases possibly not. Here is an example leveraged from the CornSweet Illusion to demonstrate. The top half of the image shown below is the same as what I had in a previous posted. Both the left side and the right side have a gray level of 212 through it does not appear that way. In the lower half, I added a Levels Adjustment Layer and masked it to adjust the left side. I shifted the white point down until I thought I had a visual grayscale match. This was when the white point was brought down to 226 or 10% down from the peak. Note that once I thought I had a visual match, the gray value was 188 of the left and 212 on the right.

So even when visually matching with your eyes, the actual luminosity is different. I wonder if this matters though. Would the average person see the same thing anyways? This may make a difference in the Radiology field in making a diagnosis, yet in the photography field it may be just a curiosity with no real consequence.

Screen shot 2011-12-11 at 5.15.23 PM.png

I am attaching a PNG file of the original CornSweet image if you want to try this yourself.

CornSweetSFW.png

Continued comments welcome of course.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching