RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of... Vogue colour?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Re: The demystification of... Vogue colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Hi oneredpanther,

I did some basic color analysis of the images and saw some consistencies.

I am not so sure you can just separate out just colour to demystify Vogue images. Not all Vogue images have the exact same characteristics.

Yet since you asked, here is what I have found from my analysis of the images you provided from a color standpoint.

I do not know "the" answer yet here is some basic analysis of the luminosity, color, and saturation. Here is what I noticed overall.

1) Hues, Saturation, and Luminosity are in quantum chunks. Groupings of Luminosity, groupings of Saturation, groupings of Hue

1) Hues in the image are very limited and relative narrow in Hue degrees with coordination of Hues across many elements in the scene (my guess is some from setup and some from post processing)

2) Saturations come in groupings as well.

The above tow items indicate very few colors in use and a lot of color coordination.

3) Many yet not all images are quite low in saturation. For the images that do have some saturation, it is in contrast with a lot of lower saturation parts of the image.

Note: Definition of saturation has many definitions. I am referring to Max(R,G,B) - Min (R,G,B) being relatively small.

Even the luminosity seems to come in groupings.

With luminosity, hue, and saturation all coming in groupings, it seems to make it easy on the eye/brain and a pleasing effect.

Well, that's a lot of guessing yet based on some basic analysis of the images.

Here are some basic analysis of 3 images you linked. In each panel it goes from:
a)Original
b) Luminosity (many show just a little color added to this luminosity)
c) Saturation Level (as defined above - this is just a gray level representation)
d) Pure Hue with low saturation masked out. Note that the Hues are quite limited and smooth across the image.

Hope these give some clues

Low Sat Example
Attachment 89487

Reasonably Low Sat
Attachment 89488

Slightly higher Sat example
Attachment 89489

Couple high Sat areas with others quite low Sat
Attachment 89490

It was quite interesting to analyze. Most images that I have analyzed has this quantization of Hues, Sat, and Luminosity nor the uniformity of all three even when viewed separately.

This may have something to do with "The Look", however this does not tell you what retouching steps to achieve that look. I have some ideas yet those are not fully baked. So, this may not help with all of your mentioned symptoms:

If it does not, I might suggest 1/2 kilo of solid chocolate. It solves a lot of problems. Happy Holiday Season
I'm sorry to revive an old post, especially as my first one, but how did you separate out those different elements to analyse?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM

Holy jeebus, doesn't anybody know how to work an adjustment layer around here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Holy jeebus, doesn't anybody know how to work an adjustment layer around here?
Adjustment... layer? :S
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM

Yeah. It's a way to correct or just change color in Photoshop. If you get really good at it, you can imitate any of the hundred different color effects seen in Vogue.

Thank You, and my new retouching video can be seen on RetouchPro Live soon. Stay tuned!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM

So what's really better about the average, let's say Vogue image, and any old rubbish? Well a few things really ..

1. You have pretty good makeup, good hair person and and an excellent photographer. And someone making the tea. With that all in place, sorry to say there are roughly 4,000 retouchers out there that can do it. Hundreds of images on a shoot. Of which to be honest, a few are happy accidents. Which are then dutifully all chopped to together from bits and pieces. Not as clever as it looks now is it? It's more about making sure you don't screw up than anything else.

2. Subtle, not crude, grading is probably the most important thing about retouching, certainly in fashion. It's the most 'creative' bit actually. And there is no formula really, pointers only. For example, whopping a huge curve that blows all the highlights and shadows off an image, is rarely the answer. (As an example, check out if you will, the image of the car which is currently advertising video rentals on this site. Which is a fine example of very whack-it-over-the-head, not so successful colour retouching in my not-so-humble opinion).

3. Good photography is more than anything about light. It's all about light, and shooting with decent equipment of course. Qualitative things such as processing the raw properly, and the ability to discern the difference. It's like any craft, Some can see exactly why and what it is technically about an image that makes it of of a higher quality, some can't. You also learn a vast amount, really huge, from experience.

It's not all about retouching either, very far from it. Some look at a nice image and say 'great photographer'. Some say 'great retoucher'. Hate to burst your bubble folks, but the 'great photographer' folks are nearer the truth on this one. To quote my grandmother, bless her soul, "you cannot make a silk purse out of sows ear Son. And please remember to shave before you go out with that Sharon. I'm making no comment, but I've no idea what you see in her!"

A lot of what has been said on this thread about some formula for grading an image is twaddle. For example, the idea that one standard curve or blend (the same thing actually), can produce 'a look', is quite obviously technical nonsense.

Last edited by Markzebra; 03-19-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
1. You have pretty good makeup, good hair person and and an excellent photographer. And someone making the tea. With that all in place, sorry to say there are roughly 4,000 retouchers out there that can do it. Hundreds of images on a shoot. Of which to be honest, a few are happy accidents. Which are then dutifully all chopped to together from bits and pieces. Not as clever as it looks now is it? It's more about making sure you don't screw up than anything else.
Ashamedly very true. And these days not screwing up seems to fall into ever expanding parameters.

That said I appreciate the ability to craft a photograph that would have been all but impossible to do in camera. When you can use the retouching to enhance the image rather than rescue it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 AM

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...-jean-roy.html
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching