RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Smudging when using Frequency Separation

Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Patron

Re: Smudging when using Frequency Separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Murray please do not take this personally, but you're making that needlessly complex. The technique being talked about here is no less inherently destructive than any other method of retouching. By duplicating so much stuff you're inflating your file size without getting much for it. You really do not need to split your image data into parts to achieve good results.
Kav, I was just responding to the questions, not commenting on usage. Like any other tool or technique in retouching, this one has it's advantages and disadvantages. It will add file size but so does every additional layer. It can add complexity but so do other methods. It can save you a large amount of time on some images but not on others. It's a trade off and you need to make an assessment.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 03:32 PM

Re: Smudging when using Frequency Separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Kav, I was just responding to the questions, not commenting on usage. Like any other tool or technique in retouching, this one has it's advantages and disadvantages. It will add file size but so does every additional layer. It can add complexity but so do other methods. It can save you a large amount of time on some images but not on others. It's a trade off and you need to make an assessment.

Regards, Murray
I think I was just grumpy yesterday. I really need to learn not to post when I'm in a bad mood. It could be fun to compare. If anyone has one where that technique made it considerably easier, show me and I'll see how I'd replicate it a different way to compare. I've tried out dozens of things in attempts to increase efficiency or prevent things like flat spots. In the end keeping it to relatively few layers for the cleanup work helps immensely. I don't do much directly on image data. If it's something really tiny that can't be dodged out I'll clone it. If it's more than a couple pixels wide I'll rebuild it instead. Then it's just a few lighten/darken layers. I can't stand spreading it among too many layers, as it can have a tendency to mess with the color/local contrast.

Splitting things up several times really does look tedious to me, even if I don't like the way I worded that previous post.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching