RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Smudging when using Frequency Separation

Old 12-18-2011, 04:36 AM

Smudging when using Frequency Separation

I am still very new to retouching but have found Frequency Separation for use when retouching to be extremely useful. I still have a problem that I do not know how to overcome. I am still getting smudging when cloning with a hard edge brush on the High layer. An example would be when trying to remove black flyaway hairs against skin at the point where the flyaway hair meets the main body of the hair. This is obviously an area of high contrast and even with the clone tool set to hard it is still smudging a bit. I suspect this is something to do with the fact that there is still a small amount of colour on the High layer.
Can anyone tell me if there is a way around this or how best to handle it.

Colin
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2011, 05:05 AM

Re: Smudging when using Frequency Separation

Hi Colin

To remove color from high pass. Image, ajustmeant, hue/saturation and put saturation all the way down to -100

Shane
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Please don't desaturate your image after the split! You might want to keep all the color information on the lowpass (search for asymmetric frequency separation in that case), but I rather suspect that the smudging comes from you working near hard edges. Try using a different filter that largely respects edges to create your lowpass and see how that works. Median or Surface Blur might work for this.
Also when healing near edges, always sample the edge itself and work along it, that way it won't blur that much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKAJCA View Post
I am still very new to retouching but have found Frequency Separation for use when retouching to be extremely useful. I still have a problem that I do not know how to overcome. I am still getting smudging when cloning with a hard edge brush on the High layer. An example would be when trying to remove black flyaway hairs against skin at the point where the flyaway hair meets the main body of the hair. This is obviously an area of high contrast and even with the clone tool set to hard it is still smudging a bit. I suspect this is something to do with the fact that there is still a small amount of colour on the High layer.
Can anyone tell me if there is a way around this or how best to handle it.

Colin
Colin, while it does not look like it, there is a significant amount of color on the HF layer. Everything that is not gray is actually an edge of your chosen radius where the color contrast has been greatly intensified. By performing an asymetric frequency separation you will remove all of the color from the HF layer leaving all of the color on the LF layer but still retaining the integrity of the split layer. Here is a link describing how to make one:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...on-method.html

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 AM

Smile Re: Smudging when using Frequency Separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Colin, while it does not look like it, there is a significant amount of color on the HF layer. Everything that is not gray is actually an edge of your chosen radius where the color contrast has been greatly intensified. By performing an asymetric frequency separation you will remove all of the color from the HF layer leaving all of the color on the LF layer but still retaining the integrity of the split layer. Here is a link describing how to make one:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...on-method.html

Regards, Murray
Hi Murray, that is amazing and works fantastically well, very much appreciated for sharing that technique. You are a star!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 AM

I seem to have a problem when using the clone stamp tool on the HF layer. When I clone I have noticed that although the item I am cloning onto goes (for example a flyaway hair on the skin) I am left with an orange/saturated skin looking colour. Is there a way to overcome this?

Colin
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Patron

Quote:
I seem to have a problem when using the clone stamp tool on the HF layer. When I clone I have noticed that although the item I am cloning onto goes (for example a flyaway hair on the skin) I am left with an orange/saturated skin looking colour. Is there a way to overcome this?

Colin
Yes, make sure you have the tool set to sample "Current Layer" only otherwise you will get weird colors. All the texture is on the HF layer and you do not want to sample color from the layers below.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, make sure you have the tool set to sample "Current Layer" only otherwise you will get weird colors. All the texture is on the HF layer and you do not want to sample color from the layers below.
Regards, Murray
Hi Murray
I am aware of that problem and solution because I made that mistake shortly after I started to use Frequency Separation ;-) This is a much more subtle orange/ saturated skin colour and appears everywhere I clone onto. I thought I could fix it by working on the Low layer but often I cannot get rid of it. Any ideas?

Also as I am still new to this Frequency Separation technique, can you advise me how best to set the level of Gaussian Blur on the Low layer. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Colin

Last edited by CKAJCA; 12-21-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Patron

Quote:
Hi Murray
I am aware of that problem and solution because I made that mistake shortly after I started to use Frequency Separation ;-) This is a much more subtle orange/ saturated skin colour and appears everywhere I clone onto. I thought I could fix it by working on the Low layer but often I cannot get rid of it. Any ideas?

Also as I am still new to this Frequency Separation technique, can you advise me how best to set the level of Gaussian Blur on the Low layer. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Colin
It would be best if you could post a sample image and/or area affected (before and after).
Choosing the correct radius is important. Further more a single radius is not always appropriate to treat an entire image. Often you need to make 2 or 3 separations, each at a different radius.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
It would be best if you could post a sample image and/or area affected (before and after).
Choosing the correct radius is important. Further more a single radius is not always appropriate to treat an entire image. Often you need to make 2 or 3 separations, each at a different radius.
Regards, Murray
Hi Murray
Here are before and after shots of approx the same area. I hope you can see the orange/saturated skin spots where I have cloned over?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (19.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg After.jpg (22.1 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching