RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do they achieve this look and color?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM

How do they achieve this look and color?

Hi all,

I am a newbie, and would like to ask all pros here what are the possible ways they might have used in Photoshop for achieving the following look.

Here

and

Here

I am particularly interested in learning how the orange light leak effects on the left side of the frame can be achieved.

Thank you.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM

Re: How do they achieve this look and color?

It might not be the answer you want to hear, but you could do that by clicking two buttons in RadLab.

To get orange like that on the left, you could just use a soft air brush with the paint mode set to Color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Ah! UK Vogue.

The traditional way is E6 (slide) film processed in C41 chemicals and a natural light leak in the camera. It can be emulated in digital but it has been done so many times I have to ask ; why?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Rooter, thank you for the pointer and the blend mode trick. Is there anyway to do that in PS without using any plug-ins at all? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 PM

Yep. I bet it's bare PS, no steroids.

As for the shots itself: Mert & Marcus, these two can tint to the limits.

Google Giorgio Armani FW 2010 or Cindy Crawford TSUM campaign, the closest examples I can think of. You'll see the visual relationship.

There are endless ways to apply the mentioned effect. Try using gradient map (which applies a certain tone to every part of the image from shadows to the very highlights) from violet to yellow (sample the values from these vogue shots). Lower the opacity to the taste. You may also apply a global curve adjustment layer in order to bump darks a little, as the mapping tends to flatten the whole look.

The images above, however, differ from each other in processing. The first one has Natalia's skin masked and - as such - the mapping (or whatever the method) does not affects it. The latter has significant violet tint present in dark parts of her legs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 02:17 PM

insmac, thanks so much for your input. Those examples you listed are really helpful to brew my taste for coloring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Not a problem.

If you're into these colour shifts, get to know Camilla Akrans:
http://www.managementartists.com/
She tends to alter the tones in a very similar way.

But everything above applies to 'colour' part of your question yet you've asked for the 'look' too. Hence, notice the lighting: harsh sunlight, most likely with strobes to have even more impact on a viewer. Skin tones are lightened. Also coloured gels mounted on these strobes create additional, strong tints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM

insmac, thanks again for that wonderful pointer. Let me ask you a newbie question, please. Can you suggest any resources for learning coloring in PS? Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM

It is not so newbie ... to understand the colour theory and apply it in practice precisely to the desired effect is one of the toughest things to learn for a retoucher, I believe

Anyways, If I were you, I would cut the digging into a few parts:

1) The colour theory; colour wheel, complimentary tones etc.

2) Cinema colour grading - I'm not kidding - you can learn amazing things by watching how do colorists share their thoughts and techniques on the subject. The principles are always the same; learn how to alter the colours to create a specific mood. When and where to add or remove tinting.
Check out the book 'If It's Purple, Someone's Gonna Die: The Power of Color in Visual Storytelling' covering usage of specific tones in order to create a particular scene.

3) Google various tutorials and walkthroughs: gradient mapping, color balance sliders, blend modes, digital cross processing etc. If you don't have own photos fitting your needs, google for plain (in terms of colour) high fashion/beauty images and try the techniques for yourself on these samples. Some tricks simply do not match the specific types of images.

4) Dig through RetouchPro archives

5) Last but not least: Avoid plugins. I know, I know: whatever it takes. In my opinion, however, having everything in control, keeping colour adjustments separate, knowing why do I do it and what is gonna happen if I push the red button now is key.

Good luck!!

Last edited by insmac; 12-19-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 05:00 PM

insmac, I really appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching