RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Question about actions

Old 12-23-2011, 05:35 PM

Re: Question about actions

I purchased a set of actions from a photographer and they were pricey
I see what you mean... not a trivial purchase.

It took 15 attempts to download on the link I was given had a hard time loading them.
Well at least you finally got them. Did you have to get assistance from the photographer or was it just persistence on your part?

now I find they aren't automatic but really a long list of things I have to do. Actually more work than if I would have done myself...is this normal? all other actions I have bought were automatic when clicked

Normal? Well it depends on the nature and purpose of the action.

Some actions are written to be "one click" and all steps are performed without pausing. I've seen actions that create "art out of photos" of this nature, in fact there's a company that sells (what it calls/markets) as "One-Click actions." These actions are pretty much "one size fits all." Sometimes the results look good, sometimes not. Kind of a crapshoot.

The other extreme are actions that permit a user to make setting decisions with every recorded step. These would be considered "maximum flexibility" actions where the user has total control of the outcome. This types of actions might appeal to portrait photographers whose work is customized for each client, depending on pose, lighting, skin characteristics, etc.

In addition some actions include deliberate pauses in order to display information or help messages.

In all cases the process (all steps in the action, from just a few to hundreds) has been recorded to simplify (automate) replay. So one can have uniterrupted replay or interrupted replay depending on need, preferences, type of action, intended use, etc.

At this point it's probably an understatement that it appears your expectations were for full, uninterrupted processes and you got the opposite.

I'm sorry there was such a huge misunderstanding.

...please help I want my money back on these if I can't use them.

Have you had any luck getting in touch with the seller? (Purchasing / charging your credit card is pretty automatic... Human contact can be more challenging, especially 2 days before Christmas. If you have attempted contact today and received no reply yet, give it a couple days.

Perhaps the actions could be modified to run with fewer or no interruptions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 07:16 PM

[forgive me if the following sounds trite or condescending... that's definitely not the intent; i'm not familiar with the depth of your Photoshop experience or how you envisioned using these actions. just looking for a few glimmers of light in the darkness]

I watched one of the videos from the site noted previously. It occurred to me that building a layer group and populating it with several adjustment layers without interruption (via an action) could be marketed as "fully automatic" vs. using a mouse or digital pen to navigate menus to manually create the group and add each of adjustment layer. Multiple layer setup via action: finished only a few seconds. Doing this many layers manually: Minutes each time.

This type of action is kind of like sending a neighbor to the store to buy your groceries (only a lot faster). Upon delivery it's still up to one to decide what and how to utilize each ingredient to yield a final product: dinner.

Mask manipulation by painting white/black and opacity tweaking has to be done manually. It's just one way of using masks to yield the desired effects. Entire books have been devoted to the numerous ways to use and create masks. It's a facinating topic.

Looking for some lemonade...

While these actions may not meet current needs, it's certainly possible going forward, as you build a larger customer base and become more experienced with Photoshop, perhaps these actions will become useful tools in your post production arsenal. Maybe they will serve as models on which to build your own actions. Finally, since you now own them there's certainly nothing wrong with modifying them to meet your specific needs.

If nothing else, learning the concepts of and how to effectively [or more effectively] use layer groups, adjustment layers, blend modes and masks are skills that can benefit just about anyone who uses Photoshop, regardless of experience level.

So it may not be a total lost cause...

Good luck getting this sorted out.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 12-24-2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: fix a couple typos for clarification
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 04:37 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
...I watched one of the videos from the site noted previously. It occurred to me that building a layer group and populating it with several adjustment layers without interruption (via an action) could be marketed as "fully automatic" vs. using a mouse or digital pen to navigate menus to manually create the group and add each of adjustment layer. Multiple layer setup via action: finished only a few seconds. Doing this many layers manually: Minutes each time...
Exactly the point I was trying to get across about the actions I looked at.

I can certainly sympathise with the OP disappointment but it has to be looked at realistically what an action can achieve. However if the marketing machine has actually been misleading then that is another story.

Perhaps as you suggested a call to the provider may get somewhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 07:51 AM

the problem is what she says in the video how to do it does not work on the program I was given to down load I just want her to make them work . I understand everyone but in the end I still have a product I can't use from what I am doing or the product doesn't make any difference the problem is she says she is to busy to answer all my questions . It took several days inbetween my questions and her answers which weren't answers but being sent to a video which does not help because mine don't do what she says should happen . I don't know a lot about photoshop but surely if you sell a product shouldn't you help get it to work? Now she won't even talk to me because she said she is going to sue because i downloaded it too many times I kept downloading trying to get it to work. I have a new computer that is amazing and have never had a problem with any other product but this one. In any case in my opinion her customer service is terrible and she tells me she has 2500 fans and I should leave her alone. I will if she gives me my money ack or helps get it to work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Patron

This really is a difficult one to answer without seeing in person. When you run an action does it change and add layers?

For instance load in an image and run the Goodbye Reface effect, do not attempt to do anything with the image.

Now look at the layers pallette do you see several new layers added?

If you do see the new layers then this is a start and suggests the action has done its job. If you do not see any changes to layers or even original image it might suggest something else is wrong with the install of the actions.

What program are you using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and which version?

I will not be able to visit again for a day or two due to the holidays but will look back and try and help after this.

In the meantime have a good holiday and relax and forget about actions for a while
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 09:01 AM

Good points Tony: If she's attempting to use an action crafted for Photoshop under PSE or a PSE action installed improperly under PSE [that's a can of worms in and of itself], those could be showstoppers for sure.

Thanks for the help... Enjoy the holiday family time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat: Important for us to know to further assist...

Are you using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (BIG difference)?

Which version?

After you play action, can you see the additional layers?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 09:02 AM

photoshop cs5the action doesnt work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 AM

I have to go for now will check back layer I am afraid I am screwing everything up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Further diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli View Post
photoshop cs5the action doesnt work.
I'll assume "the action doesn't work" means when you click the PLAY arrow, nothing happens.

If this is the case I can think of 3 possibilities (see attachments).

1. There is a STOP command at or near the top of the action steps. To the left of the STOP command are two squares. The left square in your action is turned on and the right square is turned off.

If true, click (uncheck) the left square to turn off this command.

2. The left checkbox for all or most steps is turned off. (If a left checkbox is "on," a step will play. If it is off, the step is ignored.)

3. In your frustration you may be trying to play an "Action set name" instead of an individual action.

An action set file (the .atn file downloaded or what was inside the .zip) can contain one or more individual actions.

Once loaded into Photoshop's Actions Panel (some call it the Actions Palette) to the left of the Action Set Name is a folder icon, triangle and two check boxes. If one clicks the triangle so it points down, this will reveal the action (or actions) within the action set.

If one mistakenly clicks on (highlights) the Action Set Name, then clicks Play, nothing will happen. One must click on the name of an individual action.

What's confusing sometimes is action authors give the same name to the Action Set as the action in it.

`````````````````````````
It feels like we're getting closer. Don't give up now!

Let us know how it turns out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pat diagnose 1 STOP cmd.jpg (85.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg pat diagnose 2 Steps turned off.jpg (87.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pat diagnose 3 play action, not action set.jpg (51.4 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2011, 11:44 AM

I reloaded and used the above ideas and finally have it working!!! yea not great actions in any way but at least I have what I paid for . i want to thank all of you that sent help it is amazing to me that the person I bought them from refused to help but random strangers did thank you and have a very merry Christmas Pat
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching