RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Question about actions

Old 12-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Question about actions

I purchased a set of actions from a photographer and they were pricey It took 15 attempts to download on the link I was given had a hard time loading them now I find they aren't automatic but really a long list of things I have to do. Actually more work than if I would have done myself is this normal? all other actions I have bought were automatic when clicked please help I want my money back on these if I can't use them. Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Patron

Re: Question about actions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli View Post
.. Actually more work than if I would have done myself is this normal? all other actions I have bought were automatic when clicked please help I want my money back on these if I can't use them. Pat
Pat, could you explain a little more what the actions are supposed to do (name them and provide a link if appropriate) and what you have to do i.e. what does your 'really long list of things to do' comprise of?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 PM

here is the link if you look under photographers it shows bohemian actions that is what I bought http://www.ohsoposhphotography.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM

to get them to work I have to do several things I dont want something I have to do 10 steps or I can do that myself The actions I have bought befros were automatic .
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 PM

The those sample before/after looks are so easily to achieve without any actions. You can record your own steps into an action by playing with some blending modes, curves and color adjustments. Then, from PS's File Menu select Automate-->Batch, you can have the whole automated batch processing on all your files easily. BTW, the post processing work for those sample images are so bad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM

I know but I am a novice and I just can't seem to get the hang of it so I wanted an action to be automatic. I agree most are bad . But isn't an action usualy easier to do than several steps?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli View Post
to get them to work I have to do several things I dont want something I have to do 10 steps or I can do that myself The actions I have bought befros were automatic .
What you seem to have purchased is a series of actions which individually apply a certain effect such as curves or hue and saturation. They have names such as Goodbye Redface, Skin Glow and Lovely eyes. I would suggest that the Actions you purchased are in fact automatic although a small amount of input from you may be required to fine tune the effect, but to get the effect you want may require you to run several different actions.

I think that what you were expecting is to be able to press the button and get rid of redfaces, apply a glow to the skin and accentuate the eyes in one go, hence you saying that you have to do numerous things first. Is this correct?

While it is possible that you could have a complex action to do several things the action can then become unweildy and you would still need to go in and adjust the effect on the correct layer if the default settings too little or too much.

So while you may think the actions are bad I would say that this could be due to the default settings being incorrect for certain images which will require some input from you.

While I agree that most actions are easy to do yourself as you are a novice they may be of help initially
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 PM

I WAS TOLD THE ACTIONS WOULD AUTOMATICLY DO THOSE ACTIONS i DO UNDERSTAND THAT i WOULD HAVE TO FINE TUNE EVEN WITH THEM BUT WITH THESE i HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING SO REALLY THEY ARE JUST NAMES i CANT SEE ANY EFFECT AT ALL FROM THEM iF YOU SAW HER VIDEO WHICH SHE SENT TO SHOW ME HOW YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND i WILL TRY TO LINK IT pAT
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM

http://vimeo.com/user3319424/videos HER NOT HELPFUL VIDEO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Patron

Please refrain from SHOUTING!

I think your understanding of Actions may be a little flawed. The actions would seem to allow you to do what is promised (not looked at them all) but taking one Good Bye Red Face video.

A single action that allows you to paint on areas of the face to remove red by adding the layers automatically that you will need to work on.

It achieves this automatic one button press Action by adding six layers of various types. You have to fine tune the layers to achieve the look you want.

An Action is not an intelligent application, it cannot make a judgement of, in this case how much red to remove it merely automates what can be a repetitive task in PS. You really cannot seriously expect artificial intelligence in an Action.

So if you follow the video for this you will see that you need to control the layers to achieve the specific look.

While I have no use for this type of action if I did I would produce my own. What the author has tried to do is make it simpler for the novice to achieve certain effects. Perhaps also in the process making things more difficult to understand than they need to be.

The bottom line is they do what they are supposed to do and from what I can see automatically per action i.e start action to remove red, fine tune as required, if nothing else needed stop there. If you need another effect e.g. Glowing skin apply that action seperately, fine tune the layers to taste and either stop there or run another action.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching