RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color Correction for Dodging and Burning

Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Re: Color Correction for Dodging and Burning

Bump. I'm intrigued by this idea Der_W.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dulin View Post
Bump. I'm intrigued by this idea Der_W.
I thought everyone knew you could use colors. What I'd suggest is that you don't fill it all with grey. You can always use a grey fill layer underneath that can be turned on to view the brush work on the layer when necessary. If that softlight layer only contains data in the areas that you hit with a brush, it's much easier to clip adjustment layers to your burn/dodge softlight mode layer to correct any weird color effects. Whatever strategy you take, make sure it's not turning the local area flat or causing a lot of color shift. If it is, you want to catch it early so that you can adjust what you do. It's much easier than fixing tons of stuff later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Well, I guess I could :-).
It's probably going to take a few days though, I'll put the link here.
Awesome thanks....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Here's the video as promised :-).
I like to keep those kind of adjustments as flexible as possible, so I thought about some dynamic ways to mask the colorization and came up with a few different (maybe even better/easier?) methods than what I showed so far as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59iLvLMuOQ
The video actually turned out quite long (12 minutes), sorry for that! I just had all those ideas in my mind and wanted to share all of them with you so you can chose the method you're most comfortable with :-).

Actually with a little imagination you can come up with numerous ways to do what I showed in the video :-).
Right now I'm thinking about another method to do this which might be a little more easy to handle for some users.
For this don't use black & white to paint on your Soft Light layer, but strong colors, e.g. 255/255/0 and 0/0/255.
Now clip a Hue/Saturation adj. layer in "Color" mode to this dodge & burn layer, go to the yellows and desaturate, do the same with the blues. Now if you increase the saturation in these colors and shift the hue around, you can easily determine the color that will be introduced with your dodging and burning :-).
Here's a PSD file for your to play with the new idea: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7124285/Fore...coloration.psd
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Here's the video as promised :-).
I like to keep those kind of adjustments as flexible as possible, so I thought about some dynamic ways to mask the colorization and came up with a few different (maybe even better/easier?) methods than what I showed so far as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59iLvLMuOQ
The video actually turned out quite long (12 minutes), sorry for that! I just had all those ideas in my mind and wanted to share all of them with you so you can chose the method you're most comfortable with :-).

Actually with a little imagination you can come up with numerous ways to do what I showed in the video :-).
Right now I'm thinking about another method to do this which might be a little more easy to handle for some users.
For this don't use black & white to paint on your Soft Light layer, but strong colors, e.g. 255/255/0 and 0/0/255.
Now clip a Hue/Saturation adj. layer in "Color" mode to this dodge & burn layer, go to the yellows and desaturate, do the same with the blues. Now if you increase the saturation in these colors and shift the hue around, you can easily determine the color that will be introduced with your dodging and burning :-).
Here's a PSD file for your to play with the new idea: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7124285/Fore...coloration.psd
Your awesome!!! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Der.W.. Awesome stuff my friend. I'm taking my time digesting your tutorial videos. Just your helping layer techniques are a valuable tool in themselves. Thanks for your openness
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM

nice video Jonas
thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 PM

Good call on the selective color. Nice work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Big props to the photoshop god known as Der_W! This thread and your video tutorial was extremely helpful! Thank you! I just finally got over a major hurdle with an image because you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2012, 02:35 PM

Paint With Light I and II actions

You can find my old post from 2004 with my PWL actions with examples.
Find them in my Portrait Actions Set

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tion-i-ii.html

Portrait Action Set here.

http://photocamel.com/forum/image-ed...t-actions.html

You mention that you oversaturated by burning. An easy way to avoid these type of unwanted edits is to merge all layers to a new top layer (I think this action is in my PAS). Then, change the layer mode to Luminosity and untick the action that got you there. If you like the color you would change it to Color mode.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching