RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color Correction for Dodging and Burning

Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM

Color Correction for Dodging and Burning

Hi,
As you guys know that when you do pixel level dodging and burning, the colors on the skin will start go become too saturated or desaturated.

I can easily make a selection if im using curves to do my dodging and burning. However, i tend to prefer a gray soft light layer. Do you guys know how i can make a selection of the areas that i have dodged and or burned??

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Re: Color Correction for Dodging and Burning

If the degree of difference is sufficiently large between where the area is and where you want it to be, D&B might not be sufficient, at least not as a first step. If you have blotchy skin, you can sample a target area, sample an area that you want to match, and then in a curves adjustment layer, plug the numbers into the Input and Output fields for each channel's curve. Fill the mask with black and then paint white wherever you have areas you want to affect. The technique is the same as with Dodging and burning—small strokes, low opacity, pressure sensitive pen that builds the results incrementally. The fact that you're using predetermined color values in the curves eliminates the saturation issues that come with straight dodging and burning. The farther you get from your sample values, darker or lighter, the greater the error, but the curves are effective over the whole range of values. If you need to darken any areas, a second curve can accomplish that. Once the values are brought more into balance, normal dodging and burning, however you like to do it, will pretty much finish the job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Just to clarify. To do my D&B, i start by creating a Curves layer and go to the color channels and adjust for the colors? What i found out about D&B with curves is that theres a limit to how much you can dodge. But with the curves, i have a mask selection in place where i can just create a hue/saturation adjustment layer and compensate for the color shift
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 PM

Hi tgxworld

Here is one way to create the selection/mask that you desire. This approach is to create a separate mask for the Dodged/Burned areas.

For Dodged Areas:
- Take a copy of the gray image you used for dodge/burn and set Blend to Normal
- Create a Layer above that is a pure 50% gray level with Blend set to Subtract
- Create a Layer above this that is either a Levels or Curves Adjustment Layer
- Click Auto on this adjustment Layer
- Cmd Click (Ctrl Click for PC) on Composite RGB Channel will create an appropriate selection for the Dodged Areas (Alternately you cut cut and paste this image directly into a Layer Mask)

For Burned Areas:
- Follow the same instructions above except change the blend mode of the the pure 50% gray Layer to Linear Burn and redo the Auto Function on the Levels/Curve Adjustment Layer

I hope this helps and if you have any difficulty just ask more questions.

Added Note: If you do not have CS5 with the subtract blend mode there is an easy work around for previous versions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 PM

Depending on HOW MUCH Dodging and Burning you do, you can try this...

Set your History State to just before your Dodging and Burning. Dodge and Burn and when the color and saturation changes too dramatically, try "Save from History" in "Color Mode" to bring back the color closer to the "before" Burn state. Sometimes works if your burn is not too dramatic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 11:10 PM

Hi!!

Really thank you for the fast reply!!!!

I shall try it and get back to you guys if i face any further problems.

Really appreciate the help im getting here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 AM

Did you know, you can also dodge & burn on a Soft Light layer with colors? So you might want to test sampling some skin colors before beginning to dodge & burn, that might avoid unwanted color shifts.
Chris Tarantino has showed this idea in some of his shows.

Or you might want to try a technique that I developed after seeing how Natalia Taffarel clipped Hue/Saturation adj. layers to her curves.
First create a new group, call it "dodge & burn" and set the mode to "Soft Light".
Now inside this group create a new layer filled with 50% gray in "Normal" mode, call it "dodge & burn".
On this layer you'll do your dodge & burn work.
So far nothing special, but here comes the trick. Create a new Hue/Saturation adj. layer ("Shadows"), check the "Colorize" checkbox and set values that you like for your shadows.
Now go to the advanced blending options of this Hue/Saturation layer and use the blend if sliders to set the white point of the underlying layer to 127. Now split the slider using [Alt]-click and drag the left part to 0 to soften the transitions.
Next duplicate the layer, name it "Highlights". Chose a proper highlight color this time and again go to the advanced blending options.
Now reset the white point of the underlying layer in blend if and set the underlying layer's black point to 129. Again split the slider and move the right part to 255 to soften the transitions.
That way you'll have a flexible and easily adjustable way to colorize your shadows and highlights and prevent color shifts with it :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Any chance you could make another wonderful tutorial showing this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM

Well, I guess I could :-).
It's probably going to take a few days though, I'll put the link here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Thanks in advance Der_W
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching