RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Aaron Nace

Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Re: Aaron Nace

can i have a free sample even though i have paid for a bunch already?

as for the comment on the mushroom tutorial being splash and dash, thats because it was not a full manipulation tutorial. it was strictly to introduce the idea of shadow coloring. the free tuts are just bits and pieces of what it take for full images. although some videos he has are broken up into parts so that he can get more in depth.

i think all his stuff is awesome. the free stuff is fun while still being informative, the PRO ones are amazing, in depth, and he walks through from beginning to end. he puts a ton of work into them and you can tell! the thing to keep in mind when watching is that he is treating the entire thing in a way to encourage a community type feel and it would be hard to have that if it was all business all the time. he keeps things light and fun.

he is also very good at interacting with users. if you have a question about stuff, ask him and he will write you back. if you have an idea for a video. ask and he will probably make a video to explain it. he has weekly contests and the winner gets a free Pro video and there is often multiple winners and he sometimes gives all the people that enter a free Pro video. i have been watching since the beginning and i have for sure drank the special koolaid and am hooked. i recommend the site to everyone! you will see big things from Aaron and the Phlearn Phamily!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 PM

I don't "get" some of the Phlearn concepts, a girl hanging by her hair from the room as seen here - http://phlearn.com/pro/pro-photoshop-tutorial-rebirth just doesn't make sense in my head. But then nor did the girl in the earth until I read the backstory. Character traits like 'Fro Knows Photo' quirky intro and trying to coin their own terms like "Hebrew Trinity" for lenses normally has me saying nasty words and reaching for the shiny Kill The Internet button.

A friend sent me a link to Phlearn at the same time saying, "You're probably going to hate this guy but, hey, great tutorials". He was wrong and right. I find Nace to be extremely personable and entertaining during the Pro Tutorials and they are of excellent quality - packed with information, downloaded and accompanied by the source files and any custom brushes. I think I've purchased most of them now, some still sitting on my HDD waiting for me. Nace comes across as someone genuinely enjoying what he's doing. Having sat through quite a lot of coding tutorials I know full well that the last thing you want is someone mindlessly reciting information (unless you enjoy the experience of coming round to find DFGHJ embedded on your face and the keyboard full of drool).

If anyone has any doubts, just wait around until a new Pro comes out, it's a measly $10 (£6) on first release (clever!) - hell, I don't have a job and I can afford it.

Incidentally, I saw Aaron's twitter link to this thread and, being a newbie, I joined up. I've got nothing to do with either him or Phlearn aside from being a rather happy customer. Or should that be student?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Incredible work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknacer View Post
Hey guys, thanks for your comments on Phlearn.
I am happy to answer any questions about any images I have done.

We do keep things very light for the free videos, and the PROs are strictly business. I am happy to provide a free sample PRO if you are interested
Aaron
Hello Aaron,

I can't say enough about your PRO tutorials. I bought one after seeing this thread the first time and plan to buy a number of others.

I have a number of really top-flight DVDs already and your PRO tutorials are still outstanding. You cover things they don't, which makes yours complementary and supplementary. Outstanding work and amazing imagination Thanks a million for sharing your knowledge with others so generously.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 PM

Thanks so much Robert!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha83 View Post
as for the comment on the mushroom tutorial being splash and dash, thats because it was not a full manipulation tutorial.
Yeah, I figured that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha83 View Post
it was strictly to introduce the idea of shadow coloring.
And that's the bit that made me sit up and take notice.

After seeing some of the positive comments in the thread, I think I will (at some point) take a look at the pro tutorials.

As for the concepts not making sense; do they have to? I'm really digging the image of the woman being grappled by her sofa!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet webley View Post
As for the concepts not making sense; do they have to? I'm really digging the image of the woman being grappled by her sofa!
You're right. They absolutely do not (I also really like sofa pic). Apologies I wrote my reply middle of the night after not being able to sleep. Never a good idea!

I was trying to say that even though you might not like the final image the tutorials teach very good techniques. Also the style is light hearted and entertaining whilst also instructive - I'm very, very impressed with the way these guys have put together the website, marketing and videos - very slick and well thought out.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching