RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Aaron Nace

Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Aaron Nace

Anyone familiar with photoshop guru Aaron Nace http://www.aaron-nace.com/conceptual.html# and his PHLEARN http://phlearn.com/
photoshop tutorials?

A guy I knows swears buy them for retouching and doing conceptual work. Just curious if others have used them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Re: Aaron Nace

Cheers, great link; loads of good stuff to see. That guy has been seriously busy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM

He's very creative. Concepts coming out his ears.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM

He is obviously very playful and creative. All of his skill should be steered towards commercials and such.

Me, on the other hand, being a fashion snob that I am, will never get this style of concept-less manipulation of the images. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. And while he does get most of the effects spot on, at the same time he completely skips the healing process, and as a result many of the images have unresolved flying hairs, pimples, blotches, facial hair...

Overall, he does what he does well, it is just not fashion. To each their own, I guess.

P.S. He teaches others and that is always something to be praised, and he is entertaining. And HE LOVES LILI AND ANDREY, and so do I.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Great to hear other opinions. His concepts are sometimes a little over the top for my taste, but I'm trying to go with the way he works so maybe I could apply it to fashion in a more subtle way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Patron

I think he's excellent. Very clear explanations and sample images that illustrate well what's he's teaching. The main question to ask yourself is, is this material you need or that can help you or that you're just plain interested in? if the answer to any of these is yes then his lessons are well worth the money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 AM

I've watched a few of his free phlearn tutorials, and am a bit unsure to be honest.

General concepts and ideas and ways of looking at things are really good, they're just a bit lacking in detail, and I find some of the final results a bit "slap-dash".

For example, there was a manipulation freebie, where he placed a girl on a mushroom - the methods he used weren't anything spectacular, the final image was a bit ropey (in my opinion), BUT I did learn something new about colouring shadows, which was very useful.

Mind you, I've only seen the 10-20 minute videos, so I'm assuming that the "pro" videos are more polished and in depth.

I do like the way the tutorials are presented and edited with random stuff going on in them, but I can't decide whether I like him, or find him irritating - I suppose most people are bearable in 10 minute chunks!

Saying all that, he's no Deke McClelland that's for sure.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet webley View Post
I've watched a few of his free phlearn tutorials, and am a bit unsure to be honest.

General concepts and ideas and ways of looking at things are really good, they're just a bit lacking in detail, and I find some of the final results a bit "slap-dash".

For example, there was a manipulation freebie, where he placed a girl on a mushroom - the methods he used weren't anything spectacular, the final image was a bit ropey (in my opinion), BUT I did learn something new about colouring shadows, which was very useful.

Mind you, I've only seen the 10-20 minute videos, so I'm assuming that the "pro" videos are more polished and in depth.

I do like the way the tutorials are presented and edited with random stuff going on in them, but I can't decide whether I like him, or find him irritating - I suppose most people are bearable in 10 minute chunks!

Saying all that, he's no Deke McClelland that's for sure.

I have to agree with you on him being irritating... if you are going to spend money on learning you want to get to the point and not waste time watching him trying to be funny.... a little is fine, but let's get to it and fill the time with more method and less performance. Yes it's borderline and I can see why you are undecided whether he is irritating in a short tutorial..... I wonder if it's worse on a long version?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2012, 04:48 AM

I've just had a rummage through his online portfolio:-

http://www.aaron-nace.com/conceptual.html#

And I have to say, that I certainly wasn't expecting that! I really like some of those conceptual images... some of them are very unusual. I may have to try checking out some Phlearn Pro tutorials...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Hey guys, thanks for your comments on Phlearn.
I am happy to answer any questions about any images I have done.

We do keep things very light for the free videos, and the PROs are strictly business. I am happy to provide a free sample PRO if you are interested
Aaron
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching