Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

5x7 to 8x10

Old 01-14-2012, 09:37 PM
5x7 to 8x10

Hello all,

I have run into a bit of a problem. I have an image that I have cropped to a 5x7 ratio in RAW to fit/center three arches within the image.

I would like to "enlarge" the photo to 8x10 to get it framed and hung in my office.

With this image, I cannot crop to 8x10 without changing the composition -- i.e. maintaining the left and right "margins."

I want to avoid re-processing the image using an 8x10 crop ratio in RAW.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Re: 5x7 to 8x10

UPDATE: Sorry....forgot to mention that I have already tried to image re-size with no luck. Because I do not want to resample, I cannot get the image to resize to 8x10.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2012, 11:08 PM

Hi rlualhati

I am not so sure about the concerns of some minor resampling. That may be for another thread.

There are many ways to make a 5x7 fit in an 8x10 yet to keep the composition exactly the same you end up filling the frame up with something. This could be a frame, solid color matte or something such as this approach below that I picked up from Ron Burgis on the NAPP forums. Image shown came from Stock Exchange at

Here are the steps
  • Create two layers of the original image that are 7x5 crop (I also set the dimensions to 5x7 inches just for ease of explanation)
  • Use Image > Canvas Size and with anchor in middle create a size that is now 10x8 inches.
  • Take lower image and use Free Transform and increase the size (holding aspect ratio) so that it covers the entire 8x10 area (you will lose some of the image). Add Levels adjustment Layer above it and decrease output level to ~80 (Alternately you could lighten this image)
  • On top original image use Layer Styles and add a stroke border with the color and size desired
  • Use Free Transform on upper original image and re-size proportionally while holding it in the center until it looks good to you.

This is just one of many ways of changing the aspect ratio while maintaining the original aspect ratio and composition. Hope this is useful.

I tossed in the lighter border one as well:
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 AM

Since the size and proportions are different you will have to enlarge+crop, or add a frame around it (like John showed, or maybe just a solid color).

If you haven't done any time-consuming work in Photoshop then I would export it from RAW again to the correct size/dimensions. The proportions aren't that different.

Ps: You also have the option of content-aware scale instead of cropping to fix the proportions, but it might not give you a good result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 AM

A similar problem was posed Here. The simple answer is that the Aspect Ratios are different your 5x7 inch crop has an aspect ratio of 5:7 but your 8x10 has an aspect ratio of 4:5 (or 1:1.25).

As you have seen you cannot enlarge your 5x7 to 8x10 without changing the ratio and requiring a crop of the original. With proper scaling your 5x7 can reach the 8" dimension but will of necessity become 11.2" in height.

So if you need to keep the original 5x7 crop as it is without adding any borders you will need to make your print the size above (or a little smaller) and probably need to consider a custom size frame due to the fact that standard frames sizes may not be suitable. Nearest is likely to be A4 @ 11.7"x 8.3"
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the input! I was wondering how everyone dealt with this problem.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching