RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Match levels

Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Re: Match levels

thanks tom, but match color is "destructive". i was looking for a way to do this with adjustment layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikon View Post
tony, which of your questions did i not answer that you want cleared up.
It is not just questions being unanswered (and not just my own!) it is the fact that in this thread you appear to be ignoring help and advice by not having the courtesy of posting a reply.

As your objective was not clear to me at least I tentatively suggested, have you considered Smart Objects. Guessing that you may want to combine exposures with masking hence making a copy using New Smart Object by Copy. Which would give you the opportunity to adjust the second copy independently.

John also posted an answer and went to some trouble to provide examples and plenty of detail.

Both posts ignored!

While I can understand that the answers may not be what you are looking for it is common courtesy to at least acknowledge the posters contribution and perhaps consider thanking them for their efforts, with explanation why they may not be appropriate.

Forum members here always try to be helpful and offer opinion, help and where possible advice. It should be automatic to acknowledge and thank them for their efforts (however feeble you may consider them to be) and IMO is good netiquette.

It is sometimes difficult to estimate the level of knowledge and experience someone has from their posts. In your case you stated in Post #3 ‘i tried curves as well but also no success... though im not the best at curves in general’. The inference being that perhaps you are not an experienced user. The statement further amplified by what seemed to be reinvention of the wheel which is ACR. Do not misinterpret this I doubt there is anyone here no matter what their level will claim they know it all and there is nothing new to be learned, even from PS beginners

For completeness and to directly address your query the questions I referred to include the following:
  • Have you considered using Smart Objects to alter ACR data on different layers?
  • The question still remains why on earth would you want to do this when you already have a superior image from your ACR conversion? Not answered until Post #11 after further probing your Post #9 and trying to ignore what appeared to be your curt answer ‘if i didnt have a reason i wouldnt have asked
Johns questions
  • Did you want to replicate a specific exposure with curves in Photoshop?
  • Is it curiosity
It has just occured to me that it is possible that there is a misunderstanding of meaning and intent. Maybe like other forum members your first language is not English. If this is the case then I can appreciate that the way things are put can lead to an incorrect interpretation of the message and the intent of the poster.

Last edited by Tony W; 01-17-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spilling Mistooks :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM

well tony, sorry you feel im not hand holding enough here. my 2nd response reiterated what i was trying to accomplish, so that kinda means that above responses were not what i was looking for. and unfortunately i dont have the free time every day to respond to every post on every forum im a member of.

johns 2nd response was great and exactly what i was looking, after explaining i was experimenting with different methods, and as he put it ' not looking for a bit for bit copy', we arrived at a solution. if no one was interested in reinventing the wheel, as you put it, we'd all still be using microsoft paint. i came here to learn something and i did... and i think you did as well. isnt that the point of this forum? i dont think any of us would get very far if we all told each other stuff isnt possible just cause its something we dont know.

my intent was simply to get some information. the fact that i was asking should be proof enough i have a reason to inquire. and its not my fault you didnt understand what i was trying to achieve based on my first posting. i always make an effort to make my original questions as clear as possible, not the standard "which button do i press to get the dave hill effect" question that pops up every other day. rereading it, it seems pretty clear to me. even if you read it and thought 'why the hell would someone wanna do that', thats not your concern, and shouldnt lead you to believe i somehow didnt know how to ask what i wanted to know.

and anyway, wasnt this case closed for you on post 10?

i do appreciate the fact that you went digging through all my other posts here to try and determine how much of a noob i am. i guess you have more time than i do. but i didnt join this forum to prove whos the better photochopper.

the bottom line is you didnt have a solution and john did. so thanks again john, and thanks tony for you initial response even though it wasnt the answer i needed. but now we've learned it was indeed possible, despite your belief that it couldnt be done... or didnt need to be done.

and if my english aint not to great for ya... so sowwy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Patron

Sadly the inane and immature comments carry on ,I only half expected this, but at least I tried to give you a chance to explain your rudeness and inability to answer questions posed. FYI it was you that said case closed in #9 mine was in response - see it is possible for anyone to descend to the level you appear to work in.

There seems to be no point that can be agreed upon therefore as far as I am concerned case closed!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 PM

its about time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Just in case someone is still interested in a little black boxing, I've set up a little PSD file that helped me a lot in black boxing curves for blending modes: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7124285/Fore.../Blendmodi.psd
Basically what you need to do is first set up the "Posterize" layers in the "Stripes" group. The higher the values, the more accurate your final curves will be.
Then create a new contrast change (if you want to change contrast in ACR, use Russell Brown's Script).
Now you can use your info palette to see, how the numbers changed.
For the 9x9 grid the values are written down at the borders, so you just have to see where the values were and where they are now.
Now inside the curves adj. layer (which really should be set to 0% so you don't get any changes from it and still can see the values of all the layers), set the input to the old value and output to the new value.
Copy this curve over any image you like with 100% opacity and it should be pretty much the same effect as using the adjustment you previously used.
I also show the process in a video with blending modes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uu0XIbNAxY

Might make the black boxing a little easier :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM

Cool video jonas. Thanks for the link
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching