Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Removing pores and smooth skin

Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Re: Removing pores and smooth skin

This is my final result.. If you like I'll tell you my method step by step..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Starliteny View Post
I did this using Gimp. I used the smudge brush, and a little bit of soft light.
Nooooo.... I just died a little inside .

Originally Posted by marex View Post
I have used only lighten and darken, and 7% flow
Bleck guys be gentle .

Originally Posted by CarlRetoucher View Post

Could someone give me some advice on how to remove the pores around this ladies eye, I've tried dodge and burn but struggling to get the right look.

This isn't bad skin at all. It just needs a little refinement. If you're having too much trouble try lowering the sharpening or any contrast adjustment to your raw file so that it's a bit softer. If you remove too much, it looks weird. The examples posted should demonstrate that. Here's a real suggestion. when it comes to test dodge /burn methods you do need to test them until you get a feel for them. Try it out on some skin and make sure you can blend it without the detail/skin going flat. If it goes too flat or looks painted over, that's bad. I vary how I work a bit depending on the response, but it's mostly curves for the primary work. I make sure that the brush settings are low enough that that I paint over the image in a natural manner. If they're too harsh, a lot of details will be overpainted quickly. For really small areas you're going to find yourself using a harder brush. One brush won't cover everything. You will need to learn to adjust.

Drawing techniques and practices that work well by hand carry over into photoshop. Drawing with a really scratchy stroke looks terrible on paper and achieves a similar effect in photoshop. You want it to be smooth and deliberate. Since this is detail work you must be sure that you're capable of doing it. Open a blank document and see if you can do nice fluid straight lines and curves. If you can't do that much, you're going to experience endless frustration with this stuff, and it doesn't matter if you're using a mouse, small tablet, large tablet, etc. What matters is that you can pick up the tool and use it to that level of accuracy. I usually start with the larger softer passes and gradually go smaller to get the finest details. They may look like lines there, but they do have shape and attenuation. You must pay attention to this.

Okay I've written enough here. Also the youtube video is a prime example of what to avoid :P.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM

You did not include the URL of the youtube Video

Thank You,
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM

It's higher up in the thread. The OP linked it in a later post, and it looks horrible. Everything about it is just bad and generic. The reality is that doing work at the same level of all the photographers and assistants out there (like what is shown on youtube there) does not bring in or maintain decent work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM

I used my SkinFix and Wrinkle/Blemish actions. My skinfix action use to be just a HighPass filter until byRo had me add a gaussian blur which knocked it up a few levels (thanks again!). The Wrinkle/blemish action uses the Polaroid Dust and Scratch Remover. I also used my PWL II acton to tone down dark areas.

I don't have a problem with your original image and I think my third one is a bit overdone even though many take it much further.

You can download them here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSpringerSkinFixActions6677.jpg (86.6 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 AM

To me, I wouldn't bother to remove skin pore and try to keep as realistic as possible. Like a picture has not been retouched but would only applied slit frequency. But I guess it's just a personal taste.

I noticed a few retouched pictures, they do too much retouch, smooth skin out, blurry and it losts depth...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching