RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Arm retouching help

Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Re: Arm retouching help

It still shifts quite a bit. What are you applying to it? You should mention what you're doing in terms of retouching and adjustment. If it's nothing that affects color, then the profile is being incorrectly adjusted somewhere. I don't see how you'd get that from D&B curves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 AM

d&B on a grey layer,

- hue /sat to desat yellows and reds,

-selective colour add to yellows to red

-selective colour add red to yellows

- did what edgework suggested by targeting the best colour on arm and doing a curves adjustment

also trying to match it to the rest of the models skin

just might start again
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Grey layers suck. The reason they suck is that you can't clip color adjustment solely to the area that has received D&B work. You added too much red anyway. You need to be careful with this stuff. Things always look intimidating when the image has a lot of color shifts in various parts of the skin, but you can't just throw a bunch of selective color at them. Looking at the original, it needs only minor color adjustment. It does need something, but not so much. If you're using a grey layer, I'd suggest that you do it with a paintbrush tool so that you can clip stuff to the retouching. It seems like you're making this harder than it needs to be. That arm is deceptive. It may look quite rough initially, but it doesn't really need that much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 PM

yeah am over thinking it *sigh* i think the arm is dryer looking than the rest of the body which doesn't help
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Make a black fill layer and place it over the elbow so that you don't look at it. Stop trying to lighten/darken back and forth until the area appears smooth. That method doesn't work well, and it's not working here especially given the local contrast. You need to identify what you don't like there, and what you feel is making it look dry. If the link is true to the real image, it's just some minor lightening of small spots. The key is knowing how to approach it and being able to control your work. The retouched version to a degree added contrast and problems, yet you didn't really solve many of the initial problems.

Don't feel limited on brushes. Don't feel you must always use a soft brush. Keep in mind darkening areas via DB on a softlight layer can produce a grimy effect, and it can be bad. Really you should be able to identify some of the spots that need to be lightened to make it feel less dry. You should be checking to make sure the work is not bleeding over into other areas. You should only take it as far as needed. I'm looking at this and you also need to understand shadows better. You're treating them as one solid color, even though that defies the laws of physics. They aren't one color, and treating them as one produces bad results. You must really refine your painting technique. I suggest that you learn to draw and paint pictures in photoshop. If you have enough control to draw freehand in photoshop, this stuff becomes a lot easier, and it will help you recognize where you're lacking control. I can almost read the look of your layers just viewing the before/after.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM

thanks Kav what I am seeing on the raw is the different tones in the skin
I will highlight what I think are the problem areas - my problem is mainly the elbow
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM

No problem man. I can tell you're annoyed by the elbow. That's why I suggested you hide it while working on the surrounding area. You just have to consider a bit of about how shadows work and a little about the anatomy of the area. This is actually a really easy thing to work on. It's just if you approach it in a bad manner, it can quickly become really difficult. Don't limit yourself to just a softlight approach. It's good to know other things as long as you don't end up with a hundred DB layers per image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM

if I had the budget I'd happily give it to someone els lol!
anyways this is what's bugging me - will attempt it by hiding the elbow

tell me if I am hitting the mark or am I still missing something

http://i42.tinypic.com/ws9w8m.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM

You're about right. You just have to be really gentle with it. Also if it's too light relative to the face, I'd darken it down a bit, but do it in a way that emphasizes the actual lighting. Your topmost circle borders part of the tricep, so it should retain some shape there. This is a common problem with arms. They can look rough and flat at the same time. I say not to go too high in contrast because it'll make the skin look rough, but you may want to taper the lighting a bit depending on how it looks as a whole. If the arm is lighter than the face, I'd start by darkening down the top of the arm a bit via a curve or something of that sort. to get it a bit closer to the lower arm. It doesn't have to be all exactly the same adjustment, but it should trend toward being darker.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Ok
I think the following steps will help

1- remove skin spots and scars
2 - darken down arm
3 - add a bit of saturation? not a 100% on this

I have to go out now but will be back on it tomorrow with an update

thanks Kav!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching