RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Arm retouching help

Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Arm retouching help

I am having a bit of trouble clean up this arm and not sure sure how to effectively clean it up - It looks simple but having problems more with the colour

this is where I am at the moment - I have used D&B with curves - the issues I see are the colours and saturation - the reds and greens hues are coming out

anyone have ideas? the only thing is I don't really want to do split frequency thing because well is it really needed?

http://i40.tinypic.com/15nw46a.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Re: Arm retouching help

I would continue to use your D&B method but with the photo in B&W..
use a hue/sat layer with sat @ -100
then when you're done D&B .. take you hue/sat layer ..move the hue/sat slider to 0
use vibrance layer with the vibrance slider moved in the positive direction and the saturation slider moved in the negative direction.. to help with the saturation you see on the arm.. play with the settings.. then select colorize on your hue/sat layer and add a tone that matches the original skin color(on your hue/sat layer..play with the settings!)... that usually helps me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Honestly... I can't see your problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 AM

@Sistagurl - thanks for the suggestion - I did dodge and burn with a desat layer to help - will give the vibrance layer a go

@micireland its a colour and saturation issue which is really bugging me - if I can notice it I want it gone lol

more suggestions welcome
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 AM

For something like this, curves are the best way to go. You take care of hue, luminosity and saturation in one adjustment layer.

I set a color sampler above the elbow, in a region of skin that looked clean, and another in the middle of a dirty area to the left of the elbow.

In a curve adjustment layer I plugged in the two numbers for each channel, input value from the smudge sampler, output value for the clean skin. Masked the layer and then painted white into it using the same technique for D & B. Soft brush, low opacity, pressure sensitive pen. The curves distribute the shift over the whole tonal range pulling bad color towards the good.

For remaining artifacts I used the healing brush. Neither D & B nor healing are effective when you need to shift things this dramatically. Targeted curves can get you much closer, close enough that either one will finish the job. Still not perfect; some streaking on the right side of the elbow, but like the rest of it, it's now easily fixed.

http://edgework.tripod.com/arm.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 AM

thanks edgework - really must get makeup to remember to do the arms in the first instance when I am shooting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Neither looks just right in color. You may have to do some manual cleanup, but to start you should try either curves or a small amount of -saturation clipped to your retouching layer. It can be quickly masked separately if necessary. There isn't a general rule here. How are you processing initially? Photoshop/lightroom seem to give more of these kinds of problems. If you go too contrasty on processing, these kinds of things are more prevalent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM

the first is raw as shot, cs4 camera raw, just want consistent color nothing over done
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 AM

I hate the way CS4 converts it. I like Capture One. If I was using photoshop I'd use custom settings if I was getting too many weird skin shifts. Anyway like I said there is absolutely no rule to this. You will most likely have to clip an adjustment layer to your retouching curve or whatever you are using that adjusts for this. The after version definitely picked up some redness. I'm not talking about overdone effects anyway. I just meant that I usually process a little on the soft side, and I avoid using things like S-curves for contrast as they cause weird issues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:38 AM

yeah there seem to be a slight colour shift when it is used, anyway this where I am now

still not quite there but a bit better?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2wclnrb.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching