RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

On-camera flash retouch - help please

Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Patron

Re: On-camera flash retouch - help please

There does not appear to be any 'special' treatment applied to the images you posted and as you say they do appear to be taken with on camera flash which has been mounted a lot higher than a pop up would be.

The most important thing in deciding how to treat an image to replicate an effect is that we need to see your starting point - so could you post one of your originals straight from camera without processing
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 AM

Well, If we're going that direction, that it's just a on-camera flash set to shoot upwards with the diffuser on, which softens the light and redirects it towards the subject.

And all the shots have blue curve adjusted and black introduced through curves.

But, why on earth would you like to have all that assembly/weight on your camera which is already weighs 6+ pounds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Patron

By the shadows and catchlight where seen the effect of a flash mounted in the hotshoe is to throw the shadow downwards due to the distance of the flash head above the lens axis and can give slightly more modelling than a pop up flash which will be much closer to the lens.

Many pros (wedding and press photographers comes to mind) will use a flash bracket which can give a greater distance of flash head from the lens thus moving the shadows further away and offer the chance to position the flash either in line with the lens axis or off to one side either right or left.

There is little indication that a diffuser has been used and if it has been it has not proved effective due to the still harsh shadows.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Shikuro, how do you know he uses a Speedlite?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM

Tony, you're right, he does not use a diffuser. I can't publish any photos that I've taken as this is public forum and the local magazine and model agency might not like it.

But in terms of treatment it should be about the same since it's consistently a flash on the camera. I'm still figuring out if he painted the skin with gradient map and do smoothening with split frequency. Finally adding grain.

Anyways, here's his website http://www.maciekkobielski.com/opener.html

Oscar - He's pretty well know in the industry to use on-camera flash.

you can get a glimpse of him at work here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5Na4ldtZI
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 AM

here's an image we can use as a starting point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...3at25913PM.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 AM
Patron

shikuro, as I said in my first post there does not appear to be anything special about the image processing in your links.

The main differences in your posted image vs the first three is your subject is closer to the background and the flash appears to be mounted a little closer to the lens and more to camera left. Apart from the background differences and pp I cannot see anything else

So it may be that I am missing something, but my quick attempt I just used curves layers to add back a little colour and contrast and also decided to soften the highlight on the forehead. I may have gone a little too far but is this anything like you are looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OnCameraFlash.jpg (112.7 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 AM

Hey Tony,

Thanks but it's not what i'm looking for. There's a certain patina to his images. There is a certain softness to the images...could be a slight gaussian blur.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Patron

shikuro, I certainly agree with you about the softness none of the images looked 'bitingly' sharp. Perhaps his lenses do not have good resolving power or more likely a small amount of blur pp as you say.

As to the patina well I assume you are referring to the skin colour balance in particular?

In 'average' Caucasian skin the Magenta and Yellow values should be fairly close with usually slightly more yellow than magenta. Cyan is usually between 1/3 to 1/5 of the Y and M numbers. Of course these numbers vary between subjects and skin type and your own interpretation.

Taking the first two images as an example and looking just at skin values the Yellow value is around twice that of the Magenta and the Cyan values are between 0 and 3 (trying to find an area without makeup). So it looks like the values have been altered pp to boost the Yellow value in particular.

This may have been done by numerous methods including curves. Try one perhaps using curves and bring the values on the dark haired girl to Y & M equal and C about 1/3 in value. How does it compare to the original? Does the skin value look right but background 'off' is so then it is possible that curve done selectively.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 PM

1)original,

2)lum correction / (curves, blend mode lum)

3)adjust reds and yellows towards warmer, lower brightness
(+ slight contrast increase)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot2012-02-23at25913PM.jpg (81.5 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching