RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help with d&b skin smoothing

Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Help with d&b skin smoothing

So, couple of questions here...
I'm using 2 curve layers and painting on masks to to try and get that smooth almost overdone look
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...farel#/d415rrf

So several questions:
Where the pores are their darkest it seems like I can't lighten them at all not matter how far the curve is pulled, likewise when I'm trying to knock down bright areas, the brightest tops of the pores won't get any darker. What am I doing wrong?

Also, when I am working from a highlighted area on a face to a shadow area, I feel like I am trying to lighten every single line in the face and making the overall area too light.
So what I am thinking is I am trying to lighten too much?
Basically every inset of pore (at pixel level) I am trying to lighten some.
As a whole I think I just don't know what I am doing when it comes to this.

If anyone has a download or a site where it shows the mask of a finished piece, or perhaps a psd file, I think that would maybe help me see what I am missing.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 AM

Re: Help with d&b skin smoothing

if your trying to remve every singe pore, mark, flaw, whatever, why not just paint new skin. it would probably be much faster and then it would look perfectly smooth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwo View Post
Where the pores are their darkest it seems like I can't lighten them at all not matter how far the curve is pulled, likewise when I'm trying to knock down bright areas, the brightest tops of the pores won't get any darker. What am I doing wrong?
What are your brush and blend settings?
Highlights are indeed realy difficult and, along with darkest pores, need more opacity then usual. Furthermore, in both cases it's about the shape of your curves, too.
If u use a standard bow curve, u just lighten/darken the middletones but not deep shades or peak hights ( or just slightly, nonetheless both effects are minimal and nearly impossible to see without help layers ). So, they stay the way they are, unless you tweak those light and dark areas too.

Quote:
Also, when I am working from a highlighted area on a face to a shadow area, I feel like I am trying to lighten every single line in the face and making the overall area too light.
So what I am thinking is I am trying to lighten too much?
Basically every inset of pore (at pixel level) I am trying to lighten some.
As a whole I think I just don't know what I am doing when it comes to this.
Well, the most skin flaws are that obvious because of their shadow, so it's not that curious that you're focused on them instead of the highlights ( btw. I think most of the retoucher does it that way ). Even there are usual equal light and dark spots, the lighter fit a smooth looking skin better then the dark ones.
So, if you're lighten or darken, in both cases it become too light or too dark... find the right amount is the magic. Or... change nothing in your working process but add a final curve/level layer to adjust the gamma of the skin at the end.

just my two cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Patron

There are a few tutorials and examples on the forum just do a search 'skin smooth' or 'D&B' etc. Have a look at this one
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=272

There is also a plugin by a member ShadowLight that may be of interest
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...in-smooth.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2012, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the help Acid Drop. After talking with ms. Taffarel a bit and looking at her work more in depth, I think I was actually trying to over do it. Almost like I was trying to even things out too much.
Minor blemished and such aren't so much a problem, it's getting the overall look.
A popular image that I am using as an example is the one Natalia did of Rihanna with the eye patch on. I think it was how light the skin is being made that was throwing me off. I don't think just doing skin work will give me that result, it's like the skin itself is being lightened.

Also, I am using just standard bow curves on either normal or soft light and I've been experimenting with different opacity and fill brushes. I kinda like 100% opacity with 20% fill, but then I don't know exactly how to achieve what I want yet either.

And Tony, thanks for the link, I have definitely seen that tutorial before, and I am trying to stay away from actions..

Sadly, I feel like even after I do all the d&b, the de-grunge method still gives me a better result at the end, so I know I am still missing something,

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching