RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Newbie looking for smooth skin tips

Old 08-06-2002, 06:45 PM

I almost feel 'cadish' to dare mention this Tex, your retouches are great and show lovely attention to detail, however (hate that word), the acne retouch might just benefit from a touch more noise in her face.

I feel churlish and petty saying this when you have done such a marverlous job

Look forward to seeing more of your work
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 07:05 PM

Talking

Churlish? Now THAT's a word not heard in common conversation. I wonder how many grabbed for the dictionary when they saw that? Confess!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 07:47 PM

I never mind critisism. I can always use as much as I can get. The problem I had with this one was that I had to do so much large scale retouch that I didnt find a good way to reproduce the pores from other areas. Usually I can create a "pore brush" that has the same texture as the normal skin then use it to add pores back in. In this case noise was the only real way and noise is never as good as brushed texture. I probably didnt get as much as I needed. I would have had to sample down to get a small enough pixel sized to make the noise less noticable and I didnt want to do that so I skimped on the larger pixeled noise. Clearly I should have paid more attention to that.

A funny story about this one. After making her look 20 years younger there was something wrong still and I just couldnt put my finger on what it was. After staring at the pic for a long time I reallized that I hadnt done anything to her 40 year old hand. After I did that it all looked the same.

Tex
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2002, 11:39 PM

I normally use Dust & Scratches with the history filter to smooth skin. I didn't have any skin problem photos to work with, so I borrowed yours Tex (hope that's ok... )

Anyway, this is all I did:

1. Made a snapshot of the original photo
2. Ran dust & scratches, added some noise and made another snapshot.
3. Activated orig snapshot, pointed history brush to D&S snapshot @ 50% opacity and painted over problem areas.

I did this twice, and my sample here took about 5 minutes.

It's not quite as smooth and painterly looking as Tex's wonderful cleanup job, but it's simple, effective and very easy to do... Just a different approach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin smooth.jpg (78.2 KB, 319 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2002, 01:38 AM

Very effective indeed !!!
And fast too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2002, 12:00 PM

Cool

Hi everyone, this is my first post (became a member 10min. ago) and i must say this board is fantastic and full of experienced users.

ok, know to the true intention of this post. I've been searching alot for tutorials on how to smooth skin like they do with models in advertising and i can tell you it was very hard to find, but i got hold of some and will now share the links. A warning! the links contain lots of nudity cause people who use this technique most frequently are the "scanners". If you want to go with the more natural look just be a little more easy with the blur and perhaps lower the opacity more. Hope this will help with making pictures of your girl/boyfriend more glamouros (didn't know how to spell that ). sorry for my english, don't use it much over here.

Extreme Skin Smoothing Links:

http://www.scanworldsite.com/howtos.html

http://scan.zpc.cz/scanaddict/sa_howto_harli.htm

http://members.fortunecity.com/scp1/...mes/index.html

http://members.fortunecity.com/scp1/...Scan_Guide.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2002, 12:41 AM

Hi evm,

Welcome to the site. Thanks for the links. I love nudity. And I enjoy the subject of working on skin.

Here's the thing though... the scanners are lousy photoshoppers. They need to stick to scanning.
There's a lot of people who seem to like this glamour puss look, that's fine. But it's definitely not what you'll see in advertising or in fashion mags.

This isn't the first time this subject has come up here, as people are interested in it, so maybe someone will write a tutorial.

Mind you, playing around with the techniques they use can't hurt, but there's quite difference between what's done to the playboy pics compared with the fashion pics.

Mig

Here's a sample from well known scanner, DeathScan, and what he did to this girl's skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015_death_lauren_oxley_021_copy.jpg (80.5 KB, 137 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2002, 12:42 AM

And here's Vogue.
Might just be a matter of taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg florican@the_great_escape_ukvogue0799_13_copy.jpg (98.8 KB, 128 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2002, 04:14 AM

Hey Guys where are you gonna stop ?
Each day you give me more tips...
THX so much !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2002, 05:53 AM

Thanx for the welcome mig!

I totally agree with you on the playboy vs fashion thing, hope someone will write a nice tutorial. I think a lot of the fashionshots don't need that much manipulation in photoshop, after all they've got the worlds best makeup artists and proper lighting and ofcourse a pro camera man. I have a friend who does advertising and fashion shots and he doesn't use photoshop at all. He takes a fine brush and mixes his own colors and retouches the final print by hand, wich he then sends to the magazine editors who then drumscan it. But as i said, hope someone with the experience will write a good tutorial on the techniques they use with photoshop at the big fashion magazines... anyone working for vogue out there?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching