RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get this these skintones..

Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM

How to get this these skintones..

The ones shot by anni laibovitz i think.... The ones of keith richard, woddy allen . I like the beige like skintones . http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=821153. Thanks anna
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM

Re: How to get this these skintones..

Besides the artist, nobody can tell exactly what he/she did... But there's a lot of work in those images... My guess is Dodge and Burn, color adjustments maybe with curves, or Hue/Saturation... And perhaps the other techniques that involve retouching, like spatial frequency separation sharpening etc...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 AM

thanks bone appetite. i agree in all but can you tell me more about where you see the spatial frequent separation thing... haven't really got around that one
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 AM

actually i found a thread that could maybe explain the tonic in the skin... http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...me-colors.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Here is my kick at it with a couple of gradient maps in a very quick manner. Thus, the poor result but you get another point of view.

Images are taken from sample thread on another forum,

Before

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7204/6...2a4fb5db_b.jpg

After

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6...9969f265_b.jpg

Last edited by mshi; 02-21-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Nice result mshi. What blend mode did you use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Nice result mshi. What blend mode did you use?
multiple/softlight/color/lumi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshi View Post
Here is my kick at it with a couple of gradient maps in a very quick manner. Thus, the poor result but you get another point of view.

Images are taken from sample thread on another forum,

Before

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7204/6...2a4fb5db_b.jpg

After

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6...9969f265_b.jpg
How on earth did you get those original tones???

Was it straight off the camera?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
How on earth did you get those original tones???

Was it straight off the camera?
I have no idea how the original skin tones were obtained in the first place since those are not my captures. It seems like some kind of WB adjustment in camera on the warm side, or used lights with warm gels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 05:21 PM

I can tell for sure, that just by using Profoto heads and modifiers. Annie L. is getting far into the end result. Those pictures you are refering to, is not any big mambo-jambo to create. First thing first, the Vanity Fair "Actors and director" story is shot on different locations with different type of lighthening. But the examples you refer to, is done in studio with great span up tp the roof. Some continous light in the room and the set is covered vith 3-4 large octas deflectors and some backdrops and accesories. The key light is smaller octas and other modifiers set in perfect harmony and direction by two nice and funny guys who are AL's light assistant. Its all planned and well done.

AL is shooting mulitiformat on this series: Canon DSLR. Mamiya with digital back, Leaf witg Digital back and Mamiya with filmback and Portra film, but regarding she is sponsed by canon, she doesnt speak loud about other brands than Canon.

The route to pictures like this is: Quality make up and skin styling on the models. Quality light that is as pure white as it can be in a studioflash with burntime and a aspectrum that is reflecting most in the best layers of the human skin (The reason Paladium prints looks special, is that its sensitive for UV light that is reflecting from layer under the human skin). So flash quality is essential.

After the shoot. The raw files or rwa scans are undergoing post production after speqs set by AL her self. Color balancing, dodge, burn, curveadjustment. And sometimes multiple shots are glued togheter to be one picture.

I have a few videos from those sessions made for iVanity Fairs in house documenting the job. But on the behind the scenes videos on VFs pages, you aint seeing much, mostly just showing some posing and test shooting and fine tuning of light angels.

When im shooting in studio in this type of style, which is also the same type of lightening many painters in the 16th century added to their sitters, by modifying natural light, i use two large Octas to light the whole flor. Using deflectors to create gradient shadow by setting them in angle. Two small ocas from top left behind. Soft strip with flags for the shadow area/flor. And a large octa on lowest power behind me. ALL flashes have the same colour temp/burntime. Then i use quality optics and Portra 160/400 film. After PRECISE drumscan with all over colorbalancing (1/3-tones, Midtones. 1/4) and straightening out the curve for getting all the wanted details in the film toe and setting whitepoint in the best suited place on the film shoulder.

The scans are once again colorbalanced in Photoshop for optimized post production.

My regime is: Curves adjustment, burn/dodge,selective coloradjustment in curves. Most of the qulity and skintones, colorpalette is in the Kodak film.

See attachments.

Ask if some of my workflow is Greek or not familiar

PS: At some jobs Anni L. is printing out her pictures on Epson matte paper and sending them to a repro-painter for adding them som painty touch and then the painted print is repro-photographed by a skilled photographer to be the "Master digital file"

All the best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thomas2.jpg (61.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Thomas.jpg (50.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg jens_stoltenberg2_SH.jpg (87.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg portrett113.jpg (64.9 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching