RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

A step by step, Help with this please !

Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Re: A step by step, Help with this please !

lol i almost did the same as tony_w and also the same opinion about the window. too bright and pretty distracting.
only what i did different is lowered the opacity of yellow and sharpened the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM

, This is it .

Thanks a lot, Tony_W, for the step by step and also to Johann29. and I agree about the window too bright, i'll should darken it

Thanks Guys

Last edited by noypi; 02-22-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 05:45 PM

I think you should spend a little more time focusing on control than someone else's technique as it allows you to better problem solve and develop a look for your own work. It's a lot more valuable in many ways.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 01:44 PM

thanks for the advice kav
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 01:51 PM

No problem. I wish I could have thought of a better response. I just think it's better to start to look at characteristics of an image and make adjustments accordingly rather than viewing their result as an effect. In the end if you can do that, you have more ability to make the end result your own.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Patron

Pleased that you like the result and found it helpful. TBH I did not like what I did to the image as I think I would have taken this in another direction lighter more luminous perhaps.

IMO there is nothing wrong with looking at others images you admire and by dissecting them learn how to achieve this yourself, thereby increasing your knowledge and understanding. Once learned forget about them and apply your own thoughts and feelings to the image making process.

kav makes some very valid points and one that I would add is a good photographer should have visualised how an image should look prior to picking the camera up and pressing the shutter button. This visualisation will include the necessary steps to take both in camera and take into account the potential needs to apply PP. Easier to say than do perhaps but worth striving for.
IMO there is nothing worse than trying to brighten up a lacklustre image by throwing different processing effects at it until it 'looks better'
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Again guys thanks a lot, and Kav again thanks for the advice like what you've said,i will take you advice and focus more now on the characteristics of an image and make adjustments accordingly rather than viewing their result as an effect.

Tony W, thanks again, and you made me curios about taking the image to another direction lighter and more luminous , if its possible could you post some sample
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Patron

Ok, but just an idea that may take you in another direction. I have not had the time to attempt anything special so this is just another interpretation of the scene based on my thoughts that this taken in a hot country on a very bright day and although inside the light and reflections from outside should brighten the interior and bathe the craftsman with light.

But the problem with this is it is just my vision of how an image should look i.e. if I had taken this shot I think that I would have made sure that the exposure based on the important flesh tones, face and hands and that the f/stop wide enough to defocus back and if possible foreground. This would have lightened the window considerably. That of course may not have been the photographers intention!

Just used curves to brighten up generally and a seperate curve to window area to lighten and in doing so soften the detail. Blur applied to background and some way into foreground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Potter-copy2-copy.jpg (123.5 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM

this is my try ....what do you think ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exercisefile copy.jpg (70.9 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks Tony W, its okay to go to another direction, Im always open to a new idea . I think I will combine this diff. style, blur the background a little bit and darken it, to avoid the overexposure of the window then brighten up the guy.

thanks beefy24 for your try, and I also love it , will also try this with the image.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching