RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B hell what did I do wrong

Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Re: D&B hell what did I do wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiisan1 View Post
I think KAV is right I don't like the contrast i have between the cheek and the forehead not sure which way to push the texture. The forehead looks smooth yet brittle at the same time and the cheek and jaw area look way to smooth. Any suggestions?
Foreheads have a different porous structure which is normal. I don't care for the hat, I definitely don't like the expression, and i'm not sure where you were going with the skintone. When you're dodging out shadows like that, you need to watch your color shift. Sometimes I clip color adjustments specifically to the retouched area for this kind of thing, but your workflow has to support that. I think you need to ask yourself where you're going with the image.

Most problems aren't burn/dodge or a matter of searching technique names on a forum. Most of the time it's just understanding what you want from the image piece by piece what isn't right.

If I was working on something like this, from the very start I'd control it. I'd make sure the exposure was right on the main subject and that the color balance was relatively neutral unless something else was needed over the entire image. I don't start just randomly lightening and darkening. You have to break this stuff down piece by piece, and be good enough at masking and doing super steady hand work or you just end up endlessly correcting your initial retouching work. I wouldn't say okay I'm going to burn and dodge this. I would look at it and think how I want the lips, the eyes, the makeup, the hair, the background the skintone, how I want the highlights to flow, if a shadow looks too light or too grey or too saturated.

You just split these things up into what you feel is wrong and don't overdo it. If you do that, you'll be happier with your results, but it's still quite tedious to do it really well. I don't have a lot of abstract brush work. It's all very very controlled, and I don't use any more of it than absolutely necessary. I try to avoid a lot of painting things too far then painting them back. It's a photo meaning that you're working on final detailing. While I treat it a lot like painting, it's more like that in the sense of finishing details, not base shading, if that makes sense.

The best think you could do is look at each part individually, and make sure your painting and masking skills are as close to perfection as possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2012, 11:25 PM

My main idea with any image first is to get a smooth seamless look then start structuring or restructuring the face to give it a more smooth or chiseled look.
After that then I screw with colors. Other than that I don't know any other way to go about it. If there is a tut or anyway I could be taught to tackle problems better im all ears... and I have no idea at all what to do with that forehead..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
My main idea with any image first is to get a smooth seamless look then start structuring or restructuring the face to give it a more smooth or chiseled look.
After that then I screw with colors. Other than that I don't know any other way to go about it. If there is a tut or anyway I could be taught to tackle problems better im all ears... and I have no idea at all what to do with that forehead..

Edit: I'm not sure why but my post sounds snippy when I read it back. It's not meant that way, but I can't think of better wording at the moment.

All this tells me is that you really don't know what you want. You're giving very generic terms that don't mean anything without further context and then stating that you're screwing with the colors. You're playing around with it. I get that, but it's not going to randomly become good. You didn't make her defined anyway. You actually removed anatomy.

My best suggestion would be to study beauty photos for highlights, reflections, skintones, etc. Adjust the background separately from the rest of the image, and learn more about facial anatomy. This means medical illustrations of bone and muscle structures + typical artist anatomy reference material. As a side note, if I really can't figure out something, I draw out the major lines on a separate canvas or at least a blank layer. It's important to understand the shapes. You're just focusing on photoshop rather than focusing on the subject, and that's basically your mistake.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Edit: I'm not sure why but my post sounds snippy when I read it back. It's not meant that way, but I can't think of better wording at the moment.

All this tells me is that you really don't know what you want. You're giving very generic terms that don't mean anything without further context and then stating that you're screwing with the colors. You're playing around with it. I get that, but it's not going to randomly become good. You didn't make her defined anyway. You actually removed anatomy.

My best suggestion would be to study beauty photos for highlights, reflections, skintones, etc. Adjust the background separately from the rest of the image, and learn more about facial anatomy. This means medical illustrations of bone and muscle structures + typical artist anatomy reference material. As a side note, if I really can't figure out something, I draw out the major lines on a separate canvas or at least a blank layer. It's important to understand the shapes. You're just focusing on photoshop rather than focusing on the subject, and that's basically your mistake.

Didn't sound snappy to me. But I do and don't know what I wan't. In regards to retouching the skin of course I wan't the texture even and smooth and I don't want to strong of a cheek bone on most of my retouches. In regards to studying "muscle structures + typical artist anatomy" where is the best place to find this reference material.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Didn't sound snappy to me. But I do and don't know what I wan't. In regards to retouching the skin of course I wan't the texture even and smooth and I don't want to strong of a cheek bone on most of my retouches. In regards to studying "muscle structures + typical artist anatomy" where is the best place to find this reference material.
I'd just google it. If I actually shot this kind of photography, I'd take a bunch of pictures right when someone shows up under natural lighting (diffused window lighting would be great if it's available in your studio) from as many angles as possible. This way when you work on the final images later, you have all of this reference material to help you understand the shapes that are present in her face. Basically you just want to understand your subject.

You can look at beauty photography too for reference as that can show you what others have done with skintones or makeup colors, and give you some idea of things that have worked. I think that stuff is more valuable. Going through tuts only helps if they add something to your comprehension.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Thanks for your help Ill get on it and study some before I go to bed.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching