RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B hell what did I do wrong

Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM

D&B hell what did I do wrong

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...-0449-Edit.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Re: D&B hell what did I do wrong

Seriously Ive tried d&b burning the whole thing and I end up with this...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 PM

I think you 'B'ed where you should have 'D'ed.

Why don't you try making the area around the nose softer...especially the bit above the lips and below the nose and see if you aren't happier.

D&B isn't about making the darks darker and the lighters lighter...you could do that with a soft light layer...it's about emphasizing/de-emphasizing details to make the whole face more attractive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 AM

Stupid question, did you used burn at all?
To me, it looks like you're just using dodging ( well a few burned spots here and there ) and lighten the shadows but ignore nearly every light spot that should be darken a bit.
Especially if I look at certain areas... some, like the cheek, are softened to hell while other areas, like the forehead, are just slightly edited.
In both example areas are most of the highligts still "alive" but the shades are nearly gone.

Futhermore.... how close do you zoom in? Perhaps you're to close and get lost trough all the detail working. In this case, it might help if you didn't zoom that much or generate a second window for your file to keep the overall image in sight
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 AM

Ok it's not a total mess if we're talking about the carving. Yes, there's some areas that are under-defined, but it's not the end of the world.

Here's the changes I made...basically just lightened the front cheek and darkened the away forehead a bit. Match it up to the document you posted so you can toggle it on and off in photoshop and see the changes

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9248/0tmq7pza.jpg

I think the bigger issue is skin discolouration from D&B and natural hue variation. See Jonas' video for correction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59iLvLMuOQ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 AM

I think the image looks fine (mostly), I would reduce the red tones in the cheek and maybe up the reds in the jaw/jowel area. Or as stated shade the lower part of the face to transition into the top more smoothly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM

Im not happy with the jaw line it looks to square and I know there wasn't texture there to begin with but it does look super soft
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 PM

Did u just applied D & B? Are u using eye help layers? Are u using sharpening, and color correction? Are u new to retouch? I ask you because when I started retouching I was waiting for immediate results, later I realized that I was just applying dodging and a small amount of healing, nothing else... The eye help layers play a very important part on retouching, because it helps to see things that you don't see without them... Besides your photo is kinda small to see what you did or not...

Like Acid Drop said, you didn't edit some parts, there still some work to do there...

Last edited by Boneappetit; 02-22-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Did u just applied D & B? Are u using eye help layers? Are u using sharpening, and color correction? Are u new to retouch? I ask you because when I started retouching I was waiting for immediate results, later I realized that I was just applying dodging and a small amount of healing, nothing else... The eye help layers play a very important part on retouching, because it helps to see things that you don't see without them... Besides your photo is kinda small to see what you did or not...

Like Acid Drop said, you didn't edit some parts, there still some work to do there...
I don't rely on sharpening details as much these days. If I want to generate that kind of focus, I do it manually. It comes out much cleaner. Some things require sharpening, but I hate that brittle look. The OP's problem is that he's expecting a very generic technique to do the work for him rather than considering what he wants to change about the shot. That is what matters. What he's doing wrong is lacking direction in what he's putting on the page. If you don't know what you want, no one else will be able to help. Even a step by step tutorial is just going to show them how someone else looks at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I don't rely on sharpening details as much these days. If I want to generate that kind of focus, I do it manually. It comes out much cleaner. Some things require sharpening, but I hate that brittle look. The OP's problem is that he's expecting a very generic technique to do the work for him rather than considering what he wants to change about the shot. That is what matters. What he's doing wrong is lacking direction in what he's putting on the page. If you don't know what you want, no one else will be able to help. Even a step by step tutorial is just going to show them how someone else looks at it.
I think KAV is right I don't like the contrast i have between the cheek and the forehead not sure which way to push the texture. The forehead looks smooth yet brittle at the same time and the cheek and jaw area look way to smooth. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching