RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

I'm stuck with skintones

Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Re: I'm stuck with skintones

In addition to using WB when shooting models, use your aperture by setting it at about 11(ditch the light meter). This will help keep your tones warmer and more natural. If you are not shooting RAW, do so for further adjustments before actually starting post processing. Shooting jpeg might be economical, but you lose a lot of the data RAW maintains.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 PM

Sorry ed but i think this is worse than the original. Its too bright, youve lost the detail in the highlights, the whole image seems LESS sharp despite you saying you used a high pass (which is overdone on the eye), and if you were trying to fix the skin on the cheeks it looks like its simply beem blurred rather than properly fixed.

The original image is pretty good aside from healing the skin and the neck folds. Good shoot skoobs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 12:10 PM

to kav:
would you be so kind and explain what is your favourite way ( or tools ) to select midtones, shadows, highlights for balancing out skin tones. do you use luminosity masks ? or just paint the selection ? I often struggle with keeping midtones intact while changing shadows or higlights.
thanx.

p.s.
especially transition from dark shadows to softer shadows / dark midtones

Last edited by mawu; 02-26-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Nik Dynamic Skin Softener and clone tool for the blemishes and neck. Color balance, increase yellow then Curves to lighten overall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix.jpg (52.8 KB, 237 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawu View Post
to kav:
would you be so kind and explain what is your favourite way ( or tools ) to select midtones, shadows, highlights for balancing out skin tones. do you use luminosity masks ? or just paint the selection ? I often struggle with keeping midtones intact while changing shadows or higlights.
thanx.

p.s.
especially transition from dark shadows to softer shadows / dark midtones
Usually I paint, quick mask, or pen tool a starting point for it. Occasionally I might use something like calculations or color range highlights or shadows. I don't like to do this work on an image that's already had a lot of contrast added. Why not show where you're having trouble? Can you post an example? On skooby's piece that was just a bit of rough work. They were very very rough masks. I just approximated them without driving the contrast of the image too high. If I was going to do this image entirely, I might use even less global adjustment. Normally I just try to do this (masking) in a really clean manner.

Usually you won't have that many levels of problematic color shift from darker midtones to deep shadows. If that is the case you'll most likely be doing many small overlapping passes and wish to pull your hair out by the end.

@Lou R Skin plugins are useless. Images look better with less retouching rather than skin blurring plugins. Just focus on not making it look overly rough in the first place, then manually remove major blemishes. It may not be as soft, but it still looks better than that weird look you get from plugins.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM

I don't know what your background is, but I've been doing retouching freelance and as a studio retoucher for many years and if you know how to use software such as Nik or Topaz, they are invaluable to a workflow. What you call useless, some of us call time savers and if I did not say what I used, I truly doubt you would know one way or another.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 PM

I just don't think it looks very good. Is your studio pushing hundreds or thousands of images through such as would be the case with a lot of wedding photographers? Honestly though dude, they're just algorithms to blur and sharpen details. How much time are you working with per image anyway? Even if I had to go through many of them each hour, I'd still avoid these things as much as possible. If you have thirty minutes or more for an image (which isn't exactly a high amount of time) you can easily achieve something way better without it. Personally I don't care about your background. If your clients have bad taste, that's fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Like the clone tool, et al, filters have their place. No need to get snooty, dude. And also don't assume that names mean specific types of persons.
The OP is trying to emulate an over-done "glamour" technique and took a photo of someone with bad skin. Retouching, even without the overdone effects of the example the OP posted, should at the very least get rid of the acne and ruddiness. The integrity of the image was not compromised, which is more than I can say for many of the retouches throughout this forum.

The studio I worked for has won national awards for its portraiture and I have won awards for my photography. I would appreciate not being replied to in a manner that smacks of some sort of false industry snobbery by someone who wouldn't know me (and vice versa) if we hit each other on the street.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 PM

I'm at the computer way too much for a Sunday .

Anyway relax man. You're the only one that is angry here. My point was that where I felt this kind of thing would be common to shave off a small amount of time would be in a studio that has to push a lot of images through. Even in these places (I've been in a couple portrait studios where I knew the guys although I've never worked for one) the trend seems to be that their larger prints still get a much finer treatment.

I looked at the attachments he presented. I looked at the lighting to determine as much as possible how the shot most likely appeared out of camera as opposed to what was done in post. For the OP, I simply suggested that he rely on the shape and tapering of the lighting to provide suitable contrast. That is much of what was done in the image he liked. It's a bit over the top on skin, but much of the effect is where the lighting was adjusted to get the appearance of contrast between skin, eyes, nails. Darker areas are used to frame the points of focus. If you read his post, he mentions a desire to get that kind of color. I wrote about getting the look and feel in terms of that color and lighting rather than how to make the skin feel like that (as I dislike the look).

Most of the time I'm asked to keep things as natural as possible. They want an image to look good, but people are very conscious of photoshop. Applying anything global too heavily works against this, which was why I mention not to run the contrast of local details over the top via going too heavy on global curves or contrast adjustments.

The blemishes themselves look bad because of other juxtaposed elements in the photo. You look at the photo. You see a lot of little dots of bad skin next to abrupt transitions. You can clone or rebuild them out, as filters and automated effects generally won't fully take care of such large elements. Beyond that you have the transitions and the patchiness. By building up better transitions you can get a more aesthetically pleasing tapering to the lighting as you go back along that plane of the face. Just having that rather than one a big clump of shadow will make it feel smoother without flattening things out. After that I'd address the some of the smaller patchiness, and by the time you get down to the real skin texture, you may find it no longer feels so rough once those other elements are better controlled.

Now regarding the blur and sharpen type filters, I've tested. If it granted the same thing, a lot of people would become redundant in their positions. You really don't need much to apply such a thing. Rather than using that for an approximation of the elongated method I just described, I'd rather attempt to bring out less of a feeling of roughness in the initial adjustments and processing, get rid of the major blemishes, and apply minimal smoothing after that. If it's an issue of time, you can still get a pleasing look that way that does feel less retouched.

Now tell me, why the rage? This isn't an egotistical response. I'm sitting here messing around in maya and reading some notes on python scripting at the moment. It's been a rather bleh kind of weekend, but there's no reason we can't discuss this without the hatred. You know when I see things about plugins or anything that takes a similar approach, I think of the streaming ads on here where to me the original looks better. Given just a few minutes I could produce a more pleasing effect than their after version, so what would be the motivation to purchase it? I'm not saying everything is generally done in such a timeframe, but if I had five minutes for an image, I'd still rather skip the global blur type smoothing (personally). I didn't like soft focus filters either. With cosmetics work, I rarely see anything where the texture is as compromised as it is in the OP's example.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Keeping things as natural as possible is the way to go. Better to under-retouch than over-retouch. Restraint is a virtue.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching