RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

I'm stuck with skintones

Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Re: I'm stuck with skintones

I'm not angry or there's rage, etc. Aside from that, making assumptions about someone you have no clue about other than a one sentence response is, IMO, a snobbish response. Your way is not the only way to do things and each project, whether it is something the OP is attempting in high-retouched glamour shots or normal portraiture, requires a different approach. Some of us went to school to learn and then got further experience on the job. Some just do it for play. No one argued with you that portraits are supposed to look natural. What the OP wants as per the sample, is not a style a private client would normally ask for.
In addition to his/her off color that needed to be addressed, I've already suggested to the OP to work on the aperture portion of the shoots to help warm up the tones. I would also use Color Balance, not curves to add the yellow for more control and try out the photo filters utility in Image Adjustments.
And you're not getting the hints of this dude/man stuff, are ya, Bunky?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM

i agree with kav. plugins should only be used if you're pushing thru large volumes of images. the pic posted processed with Nik doesnt look that good. rather, it looks better, but not good enough for final. its lost detail, and the skin is STIll not fixed. so why not just take time to do it by hand and do it right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM

If you open the Info pallette (F8) you can check the colors of the image you like and use curves to approximate them. This is a quick edit matching the colors on the forehead. It needs a bit of macro dodging but the tones are almost there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 redo.jpg (21.4 KB, 154 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2012, 12:20 AM

Some of your issue is... the model has underlying dark luminance (brightness) in her skin. The underlying brightness values are too low. Once you use a new curve layer and selectively paint on a positive luminance curve...then the skin will lighten up... and then the colors will look better to you.

You can also use a curves layer to warm the flesh by adding some red curve at the top right hand side of the curve...and you can also pull the blue curve down at the top right to get a yellow cast to the skin too...the red and yellow will give you the orange skin most people like.

There is a purple color cast on her shoulder that almost looks like a bruise...that will have to be removed by a separate curve adjustment layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM

(Disclaimer: I'm new here at RetouchPRO, and this is my first post. To those that have already responded, I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, or worse, mentioning the obvious.)

Hi Skoobey,

I think that the techniques that you mentioned in your original post have a lot of value and can help you achieve the look in Gavin's photo quite easily when used correctly. I've put together a ten minute edit of the photo that exploits a gradient map of three tones (highlights, midtones and shadows) pulled from the O'neill photo with the eyedropper tool and attached it below. I used the first of your two edits to avoid being distracted by the obvious blemishes.

1.jpg

The steps I used were:

1) Fix the transitions in the photo. Really quick macro dodging and burning to smooth out the luminosity transitions. Color doesn't really matter, since we're doing a gradient map anyway.
2) Quickmask the skin and jump it two layers.
3) Do a high-pass sharpening on the top layer.
4) Clip the Gradient Map in Color blending mode to the middle layer. Add the three color stops inside the extreme bounds (5 stops total) at approximately the same luminosity values as where you extracted them from.
GradientMap.png
5) Clip Hue/Saturation adjustments in Hue and Saturation blending modes, respectively, for color fine tuning.
6) To increase the saturation of the shadow and midtone areas, I applied the skin mask layer the saturation mask and adjusted the levels to isolate the areas I wanted to affect.
7) Clip a Curves adjustment in Luminosity blending mode for contrast fine tuning.

Layers.png

It's not my favorite way of doing skin, but in certain arenas -- hair fashion, for instance -- this is asked for all the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Talking Re: I'm stuck with skintones

ray, brendanc, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Spot on!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2012, 04:27 PM

good call on the gradient map. thats a good idea!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Hi Skooby,
I'm not understanding why your grey card doesn't work for custom white balance outdoors, it should if the light on the subject is fairly consistent. Shoot a frame with the grey card in the scene for reference later (not a Kodak grey card, they a made more for exposure than for white balance).

When I looked at the color channels on your original, all three channels were short on the high end of the histogram. I opened a levels adjustment layer and slid the right slider to the left in each of the individual channels to where the histogram pretty much ended. This will quickly give you a pretty neutral color balance to start with, what the model's skin tones looked like. If you don't like what it does to the exposure, set the layer to color blend mode and adjust the exposure separately. You will still have to deal with evening out the color variations by another method. Also, this method only works where the histogram is short on one or both ends. In this case, the exposure was dark so it was an option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mine2.jpg (93.2 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 PM

Gray card doesn't work as camera is reading light bounced of the card not hte card itself, so it's results may vary. I'll get a better camera lol.

It didn't work on this parcticular shoot as the two flashes have different temps to them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikon View Post
good call on the gradient map. thats a good idea!
That's been used forever, but it's pointless fully replacing color if it's not truly required. Some of this stuff seems like the logical conclusion for maximum smoothness in color, but it doesn't always work this way. If the color information is clean enough, I wouldn't totally toss it out like that. I already showed how close he was with small adjustments right after this thread began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Gray card doesn't work as camera is reading light bounced of the card not hte card itself, so it's results may vary. I'll get a better camera lol.

It didn't work on this parcticular shoot as the two flashes have different temps to them.
Just like with any other thing... anyway grey cards usually get you close to neutral as a starting point. That's a classic problem with different brands of studio lighting anyway. Even if they're the same brand, it's a question of manufacturing tolerance and possibly age of the tubes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching