RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Painted almost illustrated effect

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Painted almost illustrated effect

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the look or feel of an almost painted/illustrated effect similar to these:

http://www.inspirefirst.com/2012/02/...photography-1/

http://www.inspirefirst.com/2012/02/...yves-lemoigne/

http://www.ruji.net/store/images/bmw_z4_04_preview.jpg

Not necessarily on the subject but even the background. I understand lighting has a lot to do with it, however in the first picture with the man breaking out of the glass, even the city scape has this feel. Same as the books in the library in the 2nd link. Can someone help identify this process or at least a term for this look so I can properly search for it?

Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, 1st post, go easy on me pls!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Re: Painted almost illustrated effect

These questions are really common. The real answer is that you won't get them without understanding illustration and lighting to some degree. Even if you copy someone else on one, it won't work if you're trying with your own concept.

They're a mixture of composited elements and "possibly" some cgi elements on some of those shots. If you're trying it with filters and stuff, you most likely will not really get it. Most of the people on here tend to approximate in this manner. Personally if I was asked to match such an image, I'd handle a lot of those elements separately. I'd deal with the sky as it's own thing. I'd deal with the buildings as another element (looks like they were dropped in). I'd deal with the larger building and window as yet another. The man would be worked on separately as well. The reality is that they could each by starting from any given point, so to reliably reproduce something similar to any of these, you have to be willing to look at them piece by piece as well as from a global standpoint.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
These questions are really common. The real answer is that you won't get them without understanding illustration and lighting to some degree. Even if you copy someone else on one, it won't work if you're trying with your own concept.

They're a mixture of composited elements and "possibly" some cgi elements on some of those shots. If you're trying it with filters and stuff, you most likely will not really get it. Most of the people on here tend to approximate in this manner. Personally if I was asked to match such an image, I'd handle a lot of those elements separately. I'd deal with the sky as it's own thing. I'd deal with the buildings as another element (looks like they were dropped in). I'd deal with the larger building and window as yet another. The man would be worked on separately as well. The reality is that they could each by starting from any given point, so to reliably reproduce something similar to any of these, you have to be willing to look at them piece by piece as well as from a global standpoint.
OK well lets focus on the buildings. These are things that can't be controlled by lighting, so thats where my curiosity begins. How would you get the buildings to look like that with just sun + lens + post processing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komplex View Post
OK well lets focus on the buildings. These are things that can't be controlled by lighting, so thats where my curiosity begins. How would you get the buildings to look like that with just sun + lens + post processing?

Going low on contrast and getting the saturation and cool haze right would be a start. If you try to draw the image, you'll see what I mean. Or just download a stock cityscape image. Adjust saturation to where it's within 10-20% of that image. Adjust the cast to be similar in shadows/highlights. Test with eyedropper to see where it falls. Lower contrast. Add shadows as necessary. Blend cooler cast along skyline.

This is how I'd approach something like this. Even if you feel you've seen the look before, it doesn't mean it was achieved with a couple filters or global adjustment layers. That might get you halfway, but it won't give you a very refined look. If you want that, adjust highlights warmer, adjust shadows cooler, lower contrast to match. Add some blurry cloud pattern or something for haze, posssibly lower saturation. That'll get you part of the way there, but it won't give you anything I'd want to display with my name attached. If you want it to look really amazing you'll have to break it down step by step and truly understand what to do with the lighting and tones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Going low on contrast and getting the saturation and cool haze right would be a start. If you try to draw the image, you'll see what I mean. Or just download a stock cityscape image. Adjust saturation to where it's within 10-20% of that image. Adjust the cast to be similar in shadows/highlights. Test with eyedropper to see where it falls. Lower contrast. Add shadows as necessary. Blend cooler cast along skyline.

This is how I'd approach something like this. Even if you feel you've seen the look before, it doesn't mean it was achieved with a couple filters or global adjustment layers. That might get you halfway, but it won't give you a very refined look. If you want that, adjust highlights warmer, adjust shadows cooler, lower contrast to match. Add some blurry cloud pattern or something for haze, posssibly lower saturation. That'll get you part of the way there, but it won't give you anything I'd want to display with my name attached. If you want it to look really amazing you'll have to break it down step by step and truly understand what to do with the lighting and tones.
You don't know how much that answer alone has helped me. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching