RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How did I do it?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM

How did I do it?

Few days ago I was trying to get more out of this photo. I liked the composition and thought I could improve it by some PS post processing. I applied and tried all kind of things (filters, masks, sharpening, ...) and finally obtained this result.
I liked the final picture but after a closer look I saw the halos around the wood branches. I tried to obtain the same picture without the halos but got only disappointing results. Unfortunately I didn't make notes on how I processed the original image and the processing was done in a destructive way. As I'm not a PS expert and as there was little logic behind the processing I applied to the original image, I cannot get back the result I liked.
Any (expert) advice on how to get back the processed image, using the original as input, is most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by drouber; 02-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Re: How did I do it?

I can see the haloes in the original photo, so any further manipulation in photoshop will only enhance them. The halo effect probably happened in your initial processing. Too much HDR perhaps?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 AM

If you set the usm or high pass parameters too high you will get a halo. You may have to do some masking and apply the sharpening selectively.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Thank you for your suggestions.
I replaced the input image with an "halo-free" version. Please note I would also like some suggestions on how to reproduce the look of the output image (coloring, filtering, ...). So, it's not only an halo problem.
TIA.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 PM

bottom: original

- multiply by itself

- warm filter (something yellowish)

- curves with gradient mask to pull-down cloud's key
and + contrast + brightness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg landscape.jpg (87.3 KB, 90 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 AM

To get rid of fringing/halos I use this technique
The first thing Iíll do is to click on the eye dropper tool in the tools pallet to get the color of the fringe, in this case a blue line/fringe around the sharp edge. Once I have the eye dropper tool active, Iíll click on the blue fringe and the color will show up in the color box.
Now Iíll go to Image / Adjustments / Replace Color menu item.
Here, the Replace Color dialog box appears. The color I selected, blue, will already be in the Color box. Iíll Move the Fuzziness slider to the right slowly, until I start to see the blue fringe. The blue fringe will appear white in the Fuzziness box.
What Iím going to do is bring the Saturation slider to the left, to desaturate the blue fringe. Iíll also move the Lightness slider to the left to darken the desaturated line.

Remember, every image is different. The lightness slider may have to be moved to the left or right, but Iíll always move the Saturation slider to the left to desaturate it.
This can be done with any color fringing using this method.
Check it out and see how it works for you. I hope it helps, Enjoy.
Rich
www.richpontier.nl
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM

@shadowlight, @capice: thank you for your suggestions and tips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Try this to remove the halos. It will take practice, but with mastery it works quite well.

On a duplicate layer. Use the clone tool set to darken (in strip above image) and about 30% opacity. Pick a target point close to the halo area that has the average density of area near halo. Go over halo area building up slowly until halo is gone. Do small sections and retarget frequently. You don have to worry about being careful when brushing into the dark areas because the target is lighter than the dark areas and in DARKEN MODE THE EFFECT ONLY DARKENS TONES WHICH ARE LIGHTER THAN THE TARGET. Thus the dark areas are unaffected. In case there are any light areas that got darkened inadvertently (examine image at 100% along cloned areas), attach a mask to the duplicate (cloned layer) and paint those areas out with black to bring back the underlying area.

I use variations of this technique all the time for various problems. You can also go the other way with the LIGHTEN mode.

If it does not remove the halos all the way it will at least make them look a lot better.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM

@leuallen: great tip you described here. with some patience and accuracy, it works like a charm. thank you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching