RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colour, Colour, Colour.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Re: Colour, Colour, Colour.

I found this recommendation somewhere, but I can't figureout where..sorry, I'm old :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Purple-Som...ews/0240806883

Some food for thoughts
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM

This is the Bible for color retouching. It is a mandatory read for all our retouchers. Once you know this stuff well you can figure out how most adjustments were made.
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-P.../dp/032144017X
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 PM

amica999, I just quickly looked through that book.

it looks mostly about the design on set, not specifically about post processing
it has few visual examples (one frame per movie), but it explains in details the intent and reason behind the used tones, and personally I will find it interesting. Thanks.

Shoku, that looks like book about colour correction...
the grading usually starts after the colour correction is complete.. doesn't it?

Last edited by ShadowLight; 03-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Shadowlight - it's all color correction - altering the values in the file for a specific effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
Shadowlight - it's all color correction - altering the values in the file for a specific effect.
maybe this will shed some more light:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=821973
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 PM

I came across this video a couple weeks ago. It discusses some "thinking workflows", but they are very basic. It is interesting, though. The color wheel is a big part of my workflow, and this video demonstrates a very simple way of using it for reference.

http://phlearn.com/hue-better-photos
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesavi View Post
I came across this video a couple weeks ago. It discusses some "thinking workflows", but they are very basic. It is interesting, though. The color wheel is a big part of my workflow, and this video demonstrates a very simple way of using it for reference.

http://phlearn.com/hue-better-photos
"What are hue doin'? " - nottin...

really good video, thanks

note: what is the complementary to Blue? - yellow? well... no
long story short... can't make it short... it'a the whole thing about colour theory, colour models.. and stuff... so if you use a colour wheel, make sure it's "the right one"
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Hows about inviting cris chrismanns retoucher (cant remember her name) to do a video on colors and making non high contrast images. If you see his portfolio thers a lot of dreamlike flat images with nice color grading. I know he is a good photographer using a couple a soft boxes and lights ( nothing special) often balancing ambient light but the nice moods and colors and reduced blacks he isent geting from camera but from his amazing retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM

This is another theory and technique that I picked up from Aaron Nacer. This is great for integrating two images together in a composite (if you are compositing a new sky into an image, for example). However, I’ve used this technique outside of that situation, too. Sometimes I’ll add colors to an image via luminosity masks. I’ll plug different colors into various luminosity levels (like yellow in the highlights and purple in the shadows, for example). This method helps me calculate an appropriate shadow color after I’ve selected and applied a highlight color.

1) You marquee out a selection of an area with highlights in your image, and then copy that on to a new layer. (Make sure to “copy merged” so you are selecting everything visible, and not just the contents of your active layer.)
2) With the selection still active, you run the average blur filter. This will give you a solid color.
3) You can then invert that color, and use its hue for your shadow color. (The luminosity and saturation of that color will need to be adjusted, but the hue is the key. That exact hue has a relationship with the hue of your highlights, and they will complement each other nicely.)
4) Now, to plug that into the shadows, you can use a solid color adjustment layer which contains the hue you’ve just calculated. (I typically desaturate my shadows and play with the luminosity until I think it looks like an appropriate color.) As far as isolating this color to the shadows only, I’ll either use a luminosity mask or the blend-if sliders on that layer.

When light is reflected off of a surface, the complimentary color of that illuminated surface is typically present in the shadows to some extent. I think I said that right? I discussed this with my Color teacher at the U of Minnesota, and she explained it much better. At any rate…. if you transplant a new sky into an image, the colors of that sky will be reflected on the ground (in the shadows, midtones, and highlights), and you must address that for the images to integrate successfully. Phlearn’s pro tutorial “Dark Skies” demonstrates this well. Just fyi, I have no affiliation with Phlearn whatsoever. I found that site via a google search.

Lastly, I’d just like to mention Kuhler. In photoshop, go to windows -> extensions -> Kuhler. You can really use this to your advantage, especially the “create” function. I’ve calculated a lot of color schemes with that little guy.

Last edited by mikesavi; 03-10-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
maybe this will shed some more light:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=821973
It's a matter of semantics. Since every file is made up of color channels, altering of the color values, for whatever purpose, is color correction. Whether you are trying to remove a tungsten color cast, or adding blue to the shadows as mentioned in the discourse about color "grading". It's all color correction. Knowing the tools in Photoshop well enough to do this yourself, without the auto sledgehammers called "plugins," will give you the best results because you will have all the control. I also recommend, "Photoshop LAB Color" by the same author. We were using LAB to do the things you are speaking of years before that book was published.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching