RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color Grading..Sample Image...Let's see!!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 AM

Re: Color Grading..Sample Image...Let's see!!

Here's a little shot at it. I think I'll try again when I have more time tomorrow.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...hpCnB-X322.jpg

Last edited by mikesavi; 03-11-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM

Here's my take.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM

Here's my take on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color Grade RTPro.jpg (67.9 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks for all the different post processing techniques. Here's what I did with mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 2.52.47 PM.jpg (84.0 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM

here is my one-minute version.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6...69e5bc53_b.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
....to get better results start with colour correction,
adjust wb and contrast and start the grade from there.
in all cases to get at least somewhat predictable results
you need to first colour correct and start from there

just my 2cents
Thanks, ShadowLight. Do you have any pointers for how to correct color in the beginning, before starting this process? For me personally, that's been tricky.

I've learned how to do things decently just by looking and manually adjusting color casts until it looks correct (to me, anyway), but I don't feel comfortable that I can come up consistently with "correct" or "neutral" color, especially when there is not guide in the photograph (a shade of gray somewhere).

Custom white balance helps, but not with other peoples' photos. Plus there are times I don't have time to do custom white balance, or that I forget to do it. Any tutorials, articles, DVDs, books, etc. that you or the other color experts here can recommend to help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 AM

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder here so I hope to tread lightly. I am guessing ShadowLight uses a threshold adjustment layer to find the b&w points and perhaps also a 50% grey layer set to difference blend mode for the neutral point. (tiptoes away)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
I don't want to steal anyone's thunder here so I hope to tread lightly. I am guessing ShadowLight uses a threshold adjustment layer to find the b&w points and perhaps also a 50% grey layer set to difference blend mode for the neutral point. (tiptoes away)
since I'm doing it on the server, not in photoshop I don't need layers and I make the corrections with numbers. but almost all styles are different so there no "one recipe" for all.

what you see there is "on request grading" (a shortcut for grading images online ).
If someone deletes the source image my links will not work anymore.

one way (I guess) you can achieve similar targeted corrections in photoshop is using luminosity or saturation masks in combination with a hue/saturation layer (where you can select a hue band to modify).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
Any detailed info anywhere w/ more specifics?

I know how to set the b&w points using a threshold layer, but how do you use the diff blend mode to find the neutral point? does that mean you're properly white-balancing the entire image and removing any color cast (which I'm assuming means setting the light source to look like the subject's been photographed with a 5000K or 5500K white-balance strobe or something along those lines)?

This is probably basic stuff for experienced color experts but I'm not as familiar with color/white balancing as I'd like to be and would love to learn a more 'by the numbers' technique (to the degree that such a technique exists)....

Last edited by RobertAsh; 03-25-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 PM

By the numbers is a good approach for more than just finding neutral areas in a photo.
Not only can you find neutral areas (where R=G=B), but you can also check for impossible colors, e.g. blue hair, green skin etc.
You just need to know what to look out for.
Dan Margulis' Professional Photoshop is quite a good resource to learn about this, though you should probably try some of his texts and online publications first to see if you like his style.

The method Mike was speaking about is basically suggesting you put a new layer filled with 50% gray on top of your image, create a new threshold adj. layer above it, pull the slider all the way to the left right until the whole image turns white, push it a little back to the right and mark the black spots as neutral areas.
However this method doesn't find neutral areas, but rather areas that are close to 50% gray, which can be a huge difference!
I've demonstrated this a while back in another forum. Download this PSD file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7124285/Fore...%20Stripes.psd
You'll notice, that there are 5 layers. As you can see, the original configuration has the bottom two layers turned on as well as the top two layers. In this configuration, the top layer is indicated to be more "neutral" or rather: closer to 50% gray.
If however you also turn on the "50% Luminosity" layer as well (which is just a 50% gray layer in "Luminosity" mode), you'll see that the bottom layer now appears to be more neutral.
Now turn off the top three layers and see for yourself, which layer you think would be more neutral.

This works because with the new method you're not comparing the colors to 50% gray, but rather you're comparing the luminosity equalized layers to 50% gray, so the results aren't influenced by the luminosity, but only by the color or neutrality.
Of course the old method will work in many cases, but I'm just warning you that you should understand what it's really doing in order not to get confused by the results :-).

Edit: Um... sorry for the threadjack :-).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching