RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Her work is amazing

Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Her work is amazing

Its outstanding what she does with her work. She can turn a picture into a painting. I would love to know how she does this. The lighting? Hard flash? The colouring? The softness? The eyes?, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5big.jpg (84.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg 7big.jpg (81.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg big.jpg (82.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 2big.jpg (94.0 KB, 232 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Re: Her work is amazing

Photography wise it looks like she's using natural light, it's either early in the morning or late in the arvo. Nothing in the photograph gives me any indication of artificial light, bring a reflector if the shadows too harsh.

Another tip is get a prime lens, 50mm you can't go wrong. Shoot at a wide aperture (f/1.4 or 1.8) depends on what lens you have. Shooting this wide gets those beautiful depth of field and blurred backgrounds.

Colouring wise, it looks like the big trend that's happening by using "vintage filters" or curves. See Nirrimi and Ann he.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 04:11 AM

I wouldn't say it's amazing. It's very nice. I think what's going on there is very simple.

Nice lens, good lighting, not harsh and she's applied a few filters / colour tweaks in post. As above I think you could find the effect quite easy if you googled vintage look / sepia toning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 AM

i think she did not use 50mm , rather a bright tele, something between 135 and 200 mm, the shapes of the model are shaped in D&B way, and the color looks like a cross process partly neutralized by curves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 01:31 PM

I love Nirrimi!! As for the rest thanks guys. I have stumbled across sepia toning in the past years. Hue/saturation layer has helped me out a lot to acheive this look; however my skin always ends up losing it's definition and naturality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonturman View Post
I love Nirrimi!! As for the rest thanks guys. I have stumbled across sepia toning in the past years. Hue/saturation layer has helped me out a lot to acheive this look; however my skin always ends up losing it's definition and naturality.
First you need to always remember to examine the subject separately from the background, because it could always be masked off. If you're losing definition, it either needs transitions in density going into shadows and highlights or the color is losing transitions. I haven't seen your stuff, so I can't really comment here. If you post something I'll offer my suggestions. Much of it is just understanding what details fit together. This could involve quite a few steps including a lot of non global adjustment in her workflow. If I had to to make an image look similar, the method would depend on where it starts. Retouching and color grading are definitely used here. I can spot several mistakes.

The photographer just figured out a workflow that delivers results that they like. I really wish this forum had less of an emphasis on dissection and more of one on what people would like from their own work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching