RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Critiques & Advices more than welcome !

Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM

Critiques & Advices more than welcome !

Hi everyone,

First of all, this is my first post here and i want to thank all of you who are, by sharing your invaluable knowledge, helping us building better images. Kudos to you.

That being said here's a little
before
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...08lo_AV_lw.jpg

and after
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...08lo_AP_lw.jpg

It's mostly dodge and burned but i think i spent too much time on this pic and may have overdone it a bit...
What do you guys think of it ?

ps: (embarrassed tone) i took this raw picture on this forum (or maybe in modelmayhem.com) but i don't remember exactly where (a search didn't gave me any lead). If someone could point me in the right direction, i may properly credit this image and eventually show this work to the photograph who beautifully shot it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Re: Critiques & Advices more than welcome !

Welcome to the forum. You probably got the image from the Lipstick fetish forum, there is no attributed photographer to any of the images, despite several pleas. Perhaps not suitable for portfolio use.

Lipstick Forum Images
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
Welcome to the forum. You probably got the image from the Lipstick fetish forum, there is no attributed photographer to any of the images, despite several pleas. Perhaps not suitable for portfolio use.

Lipstick Forum Images
Yes, i took it here thanks. And that explain why i haven't write down any name to put on this...

But what do you mean by "not suitable for portfolio use" ?
Is it ethically incorrect to show an uncredited picture ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 01:16 PM

In this case the images do not appear to originate from the original poster, I don't think there is a way to ascertain who has the rights to the images. It might be a case of using the images and taking them down if the originator contacts you.
Quote:
Is it ethically incorrect to show an uncredited picture ?
For the most part, yes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
In this case the images do not appear to originate from the original poster, I don't think there is a way to ascertain who has the rights to the images. It might be a case of using the images and taking them down if the originator contacts you.

For the most part, yes.
Yes, i can easily understand this, and i wish i coud put a name on it. I just contacted the sender, maybe i can have a direct answer from him...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2012, 05:13 PM

Hey CZD,
I think you did a good job with dodge and burn for the most part but I would have definitely left in the freckles...even brought them out a bit. I would also smooth out the transition of her left cheek and then brought bought cheek bones in with some carving. I also notice some color issues to her right on the background. As far as using it for your portfolio I don't really see the issue with it if you just print it and show a client. I have never once been asked by a house or client who took the photo's they don't really care and if they give you a test that is the only thing that counts. I don't know where you are at or what clients you are trying to get but try to do some free work for tears. Thats all people seem to care about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 PM

I definitely agree for the freckles, that's what i meant when i was sayin that i "overdid" the dnb part. I experienced some difficulties to avoid those areas when working with my eye helper adj layer in b&w. I'll try to bring back some.
For the left cheek i kept the natural shadow found on the original, which is a bit harsh i must admit. And more carving will surely helps too, it still looks a bit flat too me, especially on the right cheek. In the background i introduced some texture, i tought it was more interesting that a flat gradient, but i see now that it generated some banding and probably some oversaturated spots.

I'm living in Montreal actually and i would definitely enjoy makin a living in retouching, but i surely need more practice for now (this one took me about 10 hours, maybe more!). Plus, i think i need more advanced knowledge especially in color management before i could even think deliver a final product.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback Jd, it was really helpful.
I'll eventually post an updated version of this beauty in this same thread in a near future...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Hey CZD,
If you are looking for practice and I am guessing images you are more than welcome to practice on this image I took last year.
At the time it was taken with the leading sensor and optics. It is creative commons so feel free to have fun.
I am glad I could help.
Cheers,
JD
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM

I am indeed. And as i am not a photographer myself, i'm always craving for beautiful shots as well as an experienced eye that could give me some related insightful feedback.
This is a very nice picture, dark and angelickly (is that even a word ? excuse my english, french is my main langage) lit at the same time - shot with an awesome gear, too!. I like it a lot and will definitely give it a try (should i post the result here ?).
Many thanks,
Christophe
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Hey Christophe,
That is entirely up to you.
Either is fine for me.
Cheers,
JD
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching