RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Match Skin tones

Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 AM

Match Skin tones

I've been a photographer for two years now and no matter what I do or how I light an image I always seem to get one person that has a problem with there head being lighter than there body or vice versa. In this case I have no idea how to get them matched up DSC_0139-Edit.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2012, 05:51 PM

Re: Match Skin tones

Easiest is to make two exposures from the RAW file and simply mix them in Photoshop ( two layers in Photoshop where the top one has a gradient in a layer mask to het a smooth transition ).
Or make a simple adjustment layer, set belnding mode to Multiply and turn opacity low, maybe in the 10-20's. Turn mask black and paint with white where you want to darken the face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 12:47 PM

You don't really need to use separate exposures for something so minor. Just use the available masking tools and adjust the brightness and/or color of a region as necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM

In detail how would i go about this
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiisan1 View Post
In detail how would i go about this
Paint in a layer mask or start by using the pen tool to make an outline (which might require some refinement to get it right). Make one or more adjustment layers that adjust color and density closer to bring the two regions closer together. You really need to know if you're happy with either of them first. If one appears to be correct to you, you should adjust the other. Typically curves and color balance are the easier ones to control for such adjustments. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get it right.

I think you run into two problems having responded to you before. One is that you don't understand the program entirely. The other problem is that you don't understand what you're trying to get from it in terms of results. It's actually pretty common. I'm not sure what to suggest to you. There is a lot of material out there, but the material sucks. Once you understand the program itself, the rest of it just comes down to understanding things like shading and drawing that predate photoshop entirely. They're really separate issues, and you need to know both if you expect really good results. Otherwise you'll think they're okay until you hit something difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 03:44 PM

I have used curves to try to get a browner darken skin. In which I adjusted the reds and greens then went to the rgb curves and adjusted to get it light or darker. But the colors just looked more saturated more than anything. Yes you are right I don't fully understand the program but in the case of results I know what I wanted here which was overall the skin tones to match. Learning the principles is key to mastering anything
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 04:39 PM

It's just a matter of painting in a mask on an adjustment layer to get the desired effect. The problem is that I don't think you know how to make clean masks or paths. You don't seem to have a lot of control over your adjustment layers. This is the issue. I can give instructions, but they require you to know how to do other things already. If you're going to learn to retouch these, you should first understand the majority of the tools available in photoshop. This doesn't mean going through the filter gallery. The paint tools and adjustment layers are where you have somewhat of a learning curve. It's pretty simple though. You start off with big stuff and move into smaller and smaller details (just like with illustration). Some of the big retouching studios post step by step breakdowns of their big composite work. Check out their sites and you'll see what I mean. They're small steps, and bit by bit the image comes together.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching