RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

skin problems

Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 AM

skin problems

Hello Folks
the inside of the arm of the model-view attached photo-is too dark, 'as tainted', how can I remedy it? Should I create a mask? Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1956.jpg (85.6 KB, 125 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Re: skin problems

Combination of H/S adjustment layer to take down the red and/or yellow in this area and Curves to lighten the area a bit, use hide all mask (black) and pick soft brush set at 10% opacity and around 15% flow in the mask to show the curve's effect, this is really dodging. Once done, use the clone tool to smooth out the area, set opacity to like 15% and sample all layers. It is really hard to work on it, it is too small image. This was very quick and dirty job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1956.jpg (86.7 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Aladdin; 03-24-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM

I'd do it kind of like Aladin. Probably a curve layer. I might use a varied blending mode, but I'd build up the transition via the masking rather than by cloning. I hate the look of unnecessary cloning. I think you need to ease off on the wild curves a bit. It looks like you're creating your own problems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 AM

Thanks Pals!
following your suggestions I reached a satisfying result. I already posted the 'before', now I'm posting the 'after'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro2.jpg (58.6 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 AM

Looks like a great result...following the latenightshow from Chris the other night, he showed a surprising way to "clean" dirty feet. Maybe it could also be used to "clean " the innerarm by building a mask through selections in a channel and correcting it with a curve?

Last edited by capice; 03-25-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 AM

Chris Tarantino (sometimes he's answering to threads....I'm still waiting for his 'new' book) is a master for skin retouch, unfortunately my level of english doesn't let me to follow the 'direct'. I see that the class is now rentable, and I'll rent it. Btw (as an appetizer) can you explain me more on detail (may be you took some note) the process of creating an useful mask?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM

The book was canceled, as explained in my Blog. Sorry that you are still waiting for it.
The masking for the "dirty" foot was done with a simple calculations mask. If you have seen any of my shows on masking or calculations you should be good to go. I haven't been on the forums as much as I used to be. But I do answer emails if you have questions etc.
The arm came out nice by the way. Well done.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM

- on the top of your layers (could be one layer or many), create "Curves" adjustment layer
- assuming that you don't have any other curve, it will be called "Curves 1"
- this layer has two icons, one showing curve while the other is just white box, the white box is your mask and set to white to show all, don't touch it yet
- to lighten an area, adjust the curve till the area of interest looks good to you, of course, the rest of the image will be "adjusted" also. Just keep adjusting the curve till you are really happy with the area but don't pay attention to the rest of the image.
-Now, you need to limit the adjustment to just one area in the image. click the "white" box next to the curve icon on the curve layer.
- the white mask is now active. Hit Ctrl + I to inverse the mask, now it is black mask that "hides all"
- if for some reason "Ctrl I" does not work for you, just pick black as foreground, pick the paint bucket and fill the mask black
- Once you have the black mask, all your adjustments disappear, because they are hidden.
- hit X on the keyboard or select white as your foreground, pick a soft brush, set to low opacity, like 10 or 20%
- click the curve's mask to select it, (it is now black) and start "paining" with the white brush on the area of image you are interested in - to reveal the curve's adjustment on this area only.
- if the effect is too much, you can lower the curves layer opacity.
- since the brush is only 10%, you might have to go over the area few times.

I hope this makes sense to you, I am not good at explaining stuff. Just ask if something is not clear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
- hit X on the keyboard or select white as your foreground, pick a soft brush, set to low opacity, like 10 or 20%
- click the curve's mask to select it, (it is now black) and start "paining" with the white brush on the area of image you are interested in - to reveal the curve's adjustment on this area only.
- if the effect is too much, you can lower the curves layer opacity.
- since the brush is only 10%, you might have to go over the area few times.

I hope this makes sense to you, I am not good at explaining stuff. Just ask if something is not clear.
That's a good explanation, but I'd look at those settings as a starting point rather than a roadmap. It should be controllable. That's the important thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
That's a good explanation, but I'd look at those settings as a starting point rather than a roadmap. It should be controllable. That's the important thing.
I was answering his question on how to use Masks not telling him the steps required to fix it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching