RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Matching Colors From a Tear & Using Kuler

Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 AM

Re: Matching Colors From a Tear & Using Kuler

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of these videos where they're shooting tethered but it's never been clear enough for me to really see the screen and be able to really compare it to the final product - here's a pretty good one from Solve Sundsbo (I f'n worship this guy!): http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...isive-moments/. Take a look at the 2nd image. There's a few things that stick out -primarily that milky skin tone and how desaturated it is compared to the other colors....and the creative use of that purple umbrella. There's another really good vid out there floating around of him shooting his wax drip series which I love, I'll see if I can find it. Regardless of all these screen grabs though there's still something being done behind the scenes which many of us would like to understand.

Shadow light: thanks for the well written reply. I always wonder where the line is drawn reg creative freedom and interpretation when it comes to the photogs and retouchers, so you raise an important question. The other thing I always wonder is how much "play" is involved - meaning....is there any experimenting with split toning or more minor selective color adjustments, saturation, sharpening on behalf of the retoucher to see what works best for the image or is it simply very concrete what needs to be done and it ends there. I'd have to imagine its the prior - I think most artistst experiment to a certain degree, even moreso when the medium is particularly easily reversible/non destructive. So I know we all talk about the vision and just accomplishing that vision but exactly how concrete is that vision and do they allow room for discovery....surely this differs from photogs to photogs and retoucher to retoucher so it's not an easy or definitive answer but surely something to consider/think about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot4Shot View Post
Yeah, I've seen a bunch of these videos where they're shooting tethered but it's never been clear enough for me to really see the screen and be able to really compare it to the final product
http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/vogu...-haute-couture

time: 00:53
time: 01:18
time: 01:38
time: 01:58

...etc

here you can see quite well what's in front of the photographer and closeups of the captures (on the screen) ... There's one point where someone plays with the exposure, and the saturation as if they are "adjusted on the spot", and you can see printouts of the session in the end of the same session... and no retoucher's that fast...

and of course you have the final product in the gallery on the same page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 AM

@shadowlight..thanks for sharing the vid...love the gradings on the prints, looks like it's done on the job.
C1 presets?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 AM

Thumbs up Re: Matching Colors From a Tear & Using Kuler

Quote:
Originally Posted by capice View Post
C1 presets?
looks like it
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM

I think the reason that there's not more information about color is that it is basically kinda hard to explain. I don't believe it to be a "pass/fail" situation, it's more of a being right by degrees, if that makes any sense. And it's definitely something you get better at over time. GlamGuru is right, that color is, at least for me, the most challenging part of retouching an image.

In my experience working with photographers, they'll often send a rough comp of what they're wanting to achieve color-wise (a jpeg that they processed usually) along with the Raw files. My job is to make it like theirs, only better. It depends on the photographer and the story as to what kind of color palette they're after. As far as how much a retoucher can "play" with the colors is entirely up to the photographer, but usually they know what they want before we start.

Color is where I start an image. I'll typically process the raw in Capture One a bit flat, so to be sure that there's plenty of detail in the highlights and shadows. In photoshop, I'll start off with an S curve so that the image starts to "round out". I'm not sure if this is the best explanation, but the curve should make the image more dimensional, so that an arm, for example, starts to show it's shape. It depends entirely on the image where I set my curve points, and I never set more than two. After the main S curve, I'll go to individual channels in that same curve and remove a bit of pink (by adding cyan in the shadows slightly), or adding a touch of yellow in the 1/4 tones. Again, it depends on the image as to what gets adjusted. Usually with any shot of a person, their extremities like fingertips will be more pink, so I adjust those with separate curves layers that have masks affecting only those specific areas. Other areas will be too dark, too bright, etc and they get the individual curve adjustment treatment. The main curve does most of the work.

When the studio is a bit slow, I like to make capture one presets based on fashion tears. I just play around with the settings and can get pretty close. I think that's what most of these photographers and their digitechs are doing too, just playing around until they find something they like.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM

Also, and I can't stress this enough, some photographers just use light and styling better than others. If a shot is lit and styled well from the outset, it makes my job that much easier and the end product that much better. That's being very simplistic, but it's the truth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamGuru View Post
The same is happening in this photoshoot. Notice the Phase One monitor screen and you'll see that the colors are dialed in already in Phase One. I've tried presets in Lightroom before but i typically don't get good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ieFxCM1WS1o
I tried to make something similar.
http://illuminations.herokuapp.com/

load your image (new image), and select looks: " G-Pink(light) "

here's example:
PinkLightII_web.jpg

Last edited by ShadowLight; 03-31-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM

@ shadowlight...tried it but with no result..?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capice View Post
@ shadowlight...tried it but with no result..?
yep, the grading server's offline... grrr... let me see what's wrong after the update

-edit: fixed.
should be working again

Last edited by ShadowLight; 03-29-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: update
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM

tnx, it's working now
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching