RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Matching Colors From a Tear & Using Kuler

Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Matching Colors From a Tear & Using Kuler

Hey guys, I've been a bit of a lingerer, but this is my fist post so hello! You guys/girls have a great forum with some great people. I'm primarily a photographer (shooting mostly fashion/fine art) and never really liked the editing aspect but have found myself needing to (for the lack of finding someone good at a reasonable rate)...and really enjoying the post work involved. I'm now, like most people, finding myself trying to understand/work with color. In trying to do so, I've been analyzing lots of tears, trying to figure out what gives the high fashion magazines that high fashion look - while I know there isn't 1 particular "look" it's hard to deny that there are a few extremely dominant recurring processing themes that repeat themselves over and over. So I've been continuously looking at color combos, patterns, etc. What I'd like to do now though is choose an editorial with a similar color palette to which I'd like to apply to one of my images, pull the colors and apply the proper channels/adjustments. I know it's not going to match perfectly, but what's the best way to do so? I just discovered Adobe Kuler and was planning on using it to help aid me in finding the proper color palette....any suggestions? How do you all use Kuler?

On a side note, please don't reply and say it's just years of experience. Everybody on here seems to be extremely helpful and generous with their knowledge but I do often run into a lot of answers stating that it's just experience and it's a bit of a petpeve of mine. Years of experience simply = lots of knowledge and applied technique, which is why most of us come here...to learn the things that those with the "years of experience" already know and start applying it. So hopefully we will one day be the ones with that experience, but it has to start somewhere

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Re: Matching Colors From a Tear & Using Kuler

Welcome to RetouchPro

I wouldn't say it is about years of experience. I would say it is about the way how you see the world surrounding you and what you wish to achieve. Every image should have "a mood" and everything is up to you and you "vision."

How many colours do you wish to have within your image? Shouldn't it be B&W image? Start to ask yourself questions and hopefully you will be able to get answers too …

If you see your final image within your imagination, you don't need any colour wheels …

----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Hi and welcome,

I too am on this quest but i think that it's not going to be an easy one unfortunately. Take a look at this post that I created

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/ret...r-grading.html

This is one of the most hush-hush areas in retouching and i have yet to see someone explain it. We have miles and miles of footage and tutorials on skin and beauty retouching but not a single inch on COLOR GRADING. I'm still trying to figure out why. As i said in my other post, I think it's that last stretch for a retoucher to learn to get to the "other side" which is where all these retouchers that work on the major campaigns. Why doesn't out work look like there's colorwise? They know somehting we don't and no one is explaining it. It's the holy grail of retouching! The most guarded secret.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM

I took this image of Chuck Berry almost 20 years ago.

Would you tell me, which technique did I use that time?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (77.4 KB, 184 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. I know what I'm going for, it's just a matter of achieving it. The few things I have been doing are: creating channels for each aspect of the photo (hair, skin, shirt, dress, belt, BG, etc) so I can control the color tone of each, and creating luminosity masks for the highlights, shadows and midtones. In studying a lot of the high end fashion photos, it's clear that in many of them there is some split toning going on...for example the shadows might be blue and the highlights pink/cream/yellow, etc). All of their colors also compliment each other nicely, for example, the lips might be a deep red to contrast a deep blue eye, etc...then there are hints of other color such as yellows to break it up. Grant it, a lot of this is also done as a conscious decision by the stylist when chosing the props, etc. but there is also some of this done in post. There seems to be a very desaturated look today, but it's not just desaturated, there's something else going on. I was thinking about creating a dupe of the working layer, stripping it down to a b&w, colorizing it selectively to build it back up and overlaying it with one of the blend modes on top of the working copy at a lower opacity. I haven't done it yet though, so I'm not sure what that will yield...I will try tonight. I'm also thinking that some of these images might be somewhat flattened only to have the shadows brought back and painted in in post. Sorry for the lack of attached photos to reference...I'm on my office comp and don't have my library with me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot4Shot View Post
Thanks for the replies. I know what I'm going for, it's just a matter of achieving it. The few things I have been doing are: creating channels for each aspect of the photo (hair, skin, shirt, dress, belt, BG, etc) so I can control the color tone of each, and creating luminosity masks for the highlights, shadows and midtones. In studying a lot of the high end fashion photos, it's clear that in many of them there is some split toning going on...for example the shadows might be blue and the highlights pink/cream/yellow, etc). All of their colors also compliment each other nicely, for example, the lips might be a deep red to contrast a deep blue eye, etc...then there are hints of other color such as yellows to break it up. Grant it, a lot of this is also done as a conscious decision by the stylist when chosing the props, etc. but there is also some of this done in post. There seems to be a very desaturated look today, but it's not just desaturated, there's something else going on. I was thinking about creating a dupe of the working layer, stripping it down to a b&w, colorizing it selectively to build it back up and overlaying it with one of the blend modes on top of the working copy at a lower opacity. I haven't done it yet though, so I'm not sure what that will yield...I will try tonight. I'm also thinking that some of these images might be somewhat flattened only to have the shadows brought back and painted in in post. Sorry for the lack of attached photos to reference...I'm on my office comp and don't have my library with me.
And with all this knowledge, are you asking for help ?

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM

I really don't have that much knowledge at all. I've been doing a ton of shooting but I really hated PS (just b/c it took so much time away from my shooting). It's just been the past 3 months that I've really been diving into it but it's been like 3 months of doing nothing else - I think my gf's about to break my computer (at least I have insurance).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 PM

with regard to the fashion magazines... I know a photographer, who shoots for Vogue and some other magazines. He has one retoucher with which he works. However the "look" that he and the CD or editor decide on with moodboards is done without the retoucher present. (but still can't say his looks are... too creative colour-processing-wise)

Generally there may be some guidelines going to retouchers in agencies, but I don't see how they can be expected to be creative at this point.

If you payed attention to how Paolo Roversi works ( http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...1&d=1316364281 ) you can see that he has his look almost complete directly as a preset in C1.
end result: http://images.vogue.it/imgs/gallerie...si-0_0x440.jpg

... can you imagine that he takes a few regular snaps, and hands them off to some retoucher to decide on the colours?

so maybe you are looking in the wrong place when it comes to the creative side of post processing... I think this is more of a photographer's decision to get his vision through, than retoucher's "job" to make such corrections?

re: Kuler wheel... like a few wheels out there, although being close to what you would use for finding colour harmonies, they can still give you cool to cool complement.
ex: Kuler gives the complement of FF0032 to be 00FF2C.
(but if you remember from colour theory, a cool colour always has a warm complement)

Last edited by ShadowLight; 03-26-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM

The same is happening in this photoshoot. Notice the Phase One monitor screen and you'll see that the colors are dialed in already in Phase One. I've tried presets in Lightroom before but i typically don't get good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ieFxCM1WS1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLight View Post
with regard to the fashion magazines... I know a photographer, who shoots for Vogue and some other magazines. He has one retoucher with which he works. However the "look" that he and the CD or editor decide on with moodboards is done without the retoucher present. (but still can't say his looks are... too creative colour-processing-wise)

Generally there may be some guidelines going to retouchers in agencies, but I don't see how they can be expected to be creative at this point.

If you payed attention to how Paolo Roversi works ( http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...1&d=1316364281 ) you can see that he has his look almost complete directly as a preset in C1.
end result: http://images.vogue.it/imgs/gallerie...si-0_0x440.jpg

... can you imagine that he takes a few regular snaps, and hands them off to some retoucher to decide on the colours?

so maybe you are looking in the wrong place when it comes to the creative side of post processing... I think this is more of a photographer's decision to get his vision through, than retoucher's "job" to make such corrections?

re: Kuler wheel... like a few wheels out there, although being close to what you would use for finding colour harmonies, they can still give you cool to cool complement.
ex: Kuler gives the complement of FF0032 to be 00FF2C.
(but if you remember from colour theory, a cool colour always has a warm complement)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamGuru View Post
The same is happening in this photoshoot. Notice the Phase One monitor screen and you'll see that the colors are dialed in already in Phase One. I've tried presets in Lightroom before but i typically don't get good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ieFxCM1WS1o
in the C1 I can only see that the screen is on "exposure" and the contrast is about -30.
but C1 is much more powerful than LR when it comes to colour correction, and it can simply load a custom ICC profile and use that for grading

thanks for sharing... I liked the pinkish style...
.. now I guess I have to copy it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching