RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Crisp look? Sharpening in LAB?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 PM

Talking Crisp look? Sharpening in LAB?

So this is the look that I find interesting and it looks especially good in print.

james Houston

http://www.houstonphoto.com

Gavin O'neill

http://www.houstonphoto.com

So, my question beeing, once I retouch all the stampign healing and dnb, as well as adding wihtes and blacks and color editing etc, how do I SHARPEN or make the iamge CRISP like this??

I find that iamges sharpened in lab look most like this, but what elese can you notice that has been used to achieve this look?

I often find it that there are unretouched pimples and stuff that only shows up after the sharpening in LAB, should I retouch then those areas after I have lab sharpened he image, or perhaps sharpen the image somewhere half way through the workflow???

I tried to crispify something myself

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7186/7...d37f4c1a_z.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Re: Crisp look? Sharpening in LAB?

I thought sharpening in LAB died with drum scanned film.

Just noted the pimple thing. You can always preview it. I've mentioned the solar curves thing. There are many ways to spot pimples. You're asking for a lot of potentially bad answers here. The detail has to be captured initially, then you have to preserve it during retouching (not smooth it out to a sandy kind of look).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 PM

I usually sharpen in photoshop (I disable sharpening in CaptureOne when processing) after any liquifying and before any cloning/dodge and burn. I don't do a lot of sharpening either, the average unsharp mask setting is
60/1px/0threshold.

I've seen Houston's raws before, and he keeps his stuff in focus, so they're plenty sharp at the start.

When saving a jpeg for web portfolios, I will size the file down to 800 pixels on the long side at 72 dpi. Then, I'll view it at 100% and apply a smart sharpen at around 40/50%, and that gives a nice, crisp look for web viewing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
I usually sharpen in photoshop (I disable sharpening in CaptureOne when processing) after any liquifying and before any cloning/dodge and burn. I don't do a lot of sharpening either, the average unsharp mask setting is
60/1px/0threshold.
That works too. In some case capture sharpening comes out slightly cleaner, and I dislike responding to arguments on whether or not to postpone it until the very end, so I just tell people it's important not to overdo it there. Funny though... I don't usually do any liquify until the end in case of revisions. Then I just save out a mesh. I also avoid it where something can slightly warped and rebuilt instead to avoid any liquify artifacts.

Overall we seem to agree. Get the detail at image capture and don't destroy it in post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 PM

Exactly. And yeah, it's only a matter of personal preference concerning when to sharpen and liquify.

Last edited by eraanexact; 04-02-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Overall we seem to agree. Get the detail at image capture and don't destroy it in post.
+1

Sharpening before doing the actual retouch, say in ACR, do introduce some problems IMO. First off, it's a destructive move done in the beginning of the retouch, so if you change your mind about the settings you used, say after some cloning, there's no backing it. You'll have to do it all over again.
Second, and this is just personal preference, cloning on a sharpened layer I find to be more work since you have more contrast between pixels.
I would wait with the sharpening, do the actual retouch, color adjustments and so forth and then sharpen.
Also, sharpening is very case to case so if your where to do an image for web, you might use one setting and another for print.
You might find stuff you've forgotten to remove or didn't see after you sharpen. That's when a Solar Curve (or something similar) is very handy.

Sharpening in LAB is a method which can be very powerful indeed since your eliminating color from the whole sharpening process. The result is just the same (I might just get chewed up for this) as sharpening in RGB and then fade the move to Luminosity. I tend to use the latter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM

or sharpening on a layer with the layer mode set to luminosity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Sharpening should be the last step and it should always be selective.

Patrick Lynch created actions for Photoshop which I believe are still available at Adobe Exchange. His PJ Sharpen image.atn contains many helpful actions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 PM

@ Shoku....disagree m8...it depends on what you want to achieve...I know all highend retouchers sharpen at the end if they sharpen at all.
But I learned yesterdayevening in an onlinetrainingsession from Calvin Hollywood that sharpening allready in the rawconversion gives a kind of basic sharpness which kick his images to razorsharp edges...A very unconventional way of working but thi suites Calvin. I think his images are amazing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 AM

Sharpening in LAB has the benefit that you can create impossible colors (are they called that way in English as well?), e.g. a 100% white that is red or a 100% black green.
However this is in most cases only useful when you're intending to apply a whole lot of sharpening to your images that will completely blow your channels.
In most other cases RGB sharpening is "Luminosity" mode is good enough.

Also I agree with kav, get the shot right, don't destroy detail, enhance the composition and contrast and maybe selectively sharpen at the end and you should get the crisp look you want.
Whether or not to sharpen in RAW is more or less a matter of workflow, as this has the benefit of making sharpening for output easier (you can just apply pretty much standard settings because the image based sharpening has already been done in the RAW converter), but it can create artifacts that you have to work with. You just need to chose your poison .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching