RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Minimum Size for D&B?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Re: Minimum Size for D&B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findedeux View Post
I am just learning about Dodge & Burn and noticed that the pixel-level D&B requires very fine picture detail. I have some old photos that I'd like to try D&B on but they are only 8MP resolution.

Is this too low a resolution to D&B on?
Op if you really want to learn to do a professional level job of D&B I point u to this forum http://www.modelmayhem.com/t.php?forum_id=18 and they have a forum where u can request download practice images for ur port as well http://www.modelmayhem.com/t.php?forum_id=76
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM

I always work with two windows open when doing D&B. The reference window, the one I make judgements from, is usually zoomed at 12.5% or 25%, but it might be 50% - it depends on the image size and output intent. The second window is where I do the dodging and burning, and it tends to be at 100% zoom by default. All decisions and judgements are made by looking at the reference window, but the retouching window zoom varies depending on the detail. Sometimes I will zoom in to 200%, 300% etc, and occasionally I do actually D&B at pixel by pixel level, though rarely.

It is definitely not a good idea to spend any length of time D&B'ing at pixel level without zooming out to check the effect. Although it can be easy (and perhaps therapeutic) to drift into this mindless, repetitive activity, and to spend hours satisfying a deep-seated instinct not dissimilar to that displayed by apes searching for fleas, in the long run it will not be a good experience. You are picture-making, and if you want to achieve successful results, you need to keep the whole picture in mind all the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
I always work with two windows open when doing D&B. The reference window, the one I make judgements from, is usually zoomed at 12.5% or 25%, but it might be 50% - it depends on the image size and output intent. The second window is where I do the dodging and burning, and it tends to be at 100% zoom by default. All decisions and judgements are made by looking at the reference window, but the retouching window zoom varies depending on the detail. Sometimes I will zoom in to 200%, 300% etc, and occasionally I do actually D&B at pixel by pixel level, though rarely.

It is definitely not a good idea to spend any length of time D&B'ing at pixel level without zooming out to check the effect. Although it can be easy (and perhaps therapeutic) to drift into this mindless, repetitive activity, and to spend hours satisfying a deep-seated instinct not dissimilar to that displayed by apes searching for fleas, in the long run it will not be a good experience. You are picture-making, and if you want to achieve successful results, you need to keep the whole picture in mind all the time.
OMG this is ideal and not just for dnb, how do you achieve these views? Plugibn or an extra program? I am unaware of such softwarew for Mac. Please point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2012, 05:41 PM

In Photoshop go.. Window > Arrange > New Window for....

There's also an icon at the top left in PS5
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post

OMG this is ideal and not just for dnb, how do you achieve these views? Plugibn or an extra program? I am unaware of such softwarew for Mac. Please point me in the right direction?

Hahahha FOUND IT thank you so much I was unaware of this option. It is a game changer. It is found under Window-Arange-New Window for the file
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Sorry for posting twice, I found it, but thanks.

It's funny how little things like this can enhance your workflow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the mention of that. A second zoom ratio would be amazing. I spend quite a lot of time around 100%. I try to maintain a stead hand at that rather than spending too much time super close, but something where I could see the whole image as a second view would be amazing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching