RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Real Time Blurring

Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Real Time Blurring

Hi,

I was painting in eyebrow hairs yesterday, which took ages. I added some subtle effects to them including very slight drop shadow, noise and blur, and eventually got it perfect so you couldn't distinguish them from the originals.

But later I realised that I needed to add some more. So I had to do it all over again, which seemed to take ages. The drawing part was relatively easy - it was getting the balance of the shadow, noise and blur right that took most of the time.

In retrospect I realised that it would have been ideal if I could have had the noise, drop shadow and blur applied in real time as I worked with the brush.
Obviously the drop shadow is not a problem since it is a layer effect which updates itself automatically, and I can set up a clipped noise layer to deal with that part of the problem.
But how can I set up a blur that applies itself to my drawing as I work? I foresee this being a scenario I will encounter again and again. I know there must be a way, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Can anyone provide a solution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 03:56 PM

Re: Real Time Blurring

If you're using just one color, you might have a chance with outer glow, but otherwise there's no way to have real-time blur as far as I know.
If you're using different colors (which I'm assuming) best thing that comes to my mind right now is to create a smart object, blur it and paint your hairs in it so every time you hit save it gets updated. Maybe keep this in a floating window next to your image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 04:00 PM

A few different ways I can think about using a smart object blur it and use a layer mask and paint the effect in with a low opacity brush. How that I think about it most would be a variation on that theme blur layer mask paint effect back in or even use history brush same concept.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks Der, Julian,

I've been trying to make sense of what you're both saying and have been trying it out but I'm getting two problems. One/ I can't paint in a smart object without rasterizing. Two/ I filled a layer with a colour, blurred it, attached a black mask and painted in the mask, but that doesn't work. So I'm obviously not understanding what you mean. I might need to have it spelt out for me. I'm not too clever with smart objects to be honest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Okay, I've got it now. I edit contents of the smart object by painting in a separate window and every time I hit Cmd S I get it updated with the smart filter blur effect in the main document. Thanks.

I still don't understand the masking/history brush technique though.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching