RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Stainless Steel Retouching

Old 04-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Stainless Steel Retouching

Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find exactly what I need on the forum.

I've got a few photos that I shot of a kitchen with stainless steel appliances. During the shoot, the homeowner decided that they needed to be polished a little more and ended up creating a ton of streaks that have shown up in the images.

I've included a link below to the photos that I'm talking about.

Is there an easy way to touch these up? Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

http://trevorbrown.photoshelter.com/...000hIhylIJySLA
Cheers,

Trevor
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 AM

Re: Stainless Steel Retouching

I used filter/noise/median on a second layer and masked it out.
pretty effective.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...10/kitchen.jpg

Just did the door on the left so you can see the difference
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Patron

Trevor, the download button is requesting a Login.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Hey guys, sorry if you tried to access this gallery.

Try the link above again, using the password "kitchen"

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM

no problem accessing...from my mac I didn't need a password..? Let us know if the method gives you what you were looking for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM

I like the stainless steel texture, and I imagine that you don't want to lose that. If it were me doing the work, I would fix the streaks with dodging and burning so as to retain that lovely brushed metal texture. Otherwise, it can tend to look too flat and, well, retouched.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM

I tried some cloning with a 20% opacity clone tool back and forth until the streaks seemed smoothed out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1395_flat-copy.jpg (76.3 KB, 113 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give these techniques a whirl. I really appreciate you taking some time to monkey with it. I just need to be patient and take a little time with it.

Cheers,

Trevor
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
I like the stainless steel texture, and I imagine that you don't want to lose that. If it were me doing the work, I would fix the streaks with dodging and burning so as to retain that lovely brushed metal texture. Otherwise, it can tend to look too flat and, well, retouched.
I'd do some burn/dodge work too and try not to lose the texture, although that might be tough. You might have to do a bit of further burn/dodge work to get the right feel in the variation of the metal. Metal is really super easy to overdo.

Personally I'd clipping path all of the metal and adjust it to stand out more. I'd do the same with the floor for perfect coloring, and i'd lessen that reflection in the floor to something that fades off a bit more. I'd adjust the flowers so that the one in front isn't quite so glaringly red and demanding on the eyes. I'm not sure red really goes with the scene anyway. Sink and cabinetry could use some love. Microwave and oven could look better too. I'd definitely do some contouring work on the counter edges and stuff to emphasize their shape a bit. I'd make the black cabinetry a bit more uniform. The handles should definitely have a polished feel. Again I'd simplify reflections a bit. Ground level may need a bit more shading to make it feel like this is where things come together and that dusty appearance should go from the base of the fridge. I'd even out the shadows below the lower cabinets a bit. I like the darker ones, so I'd make some of the others slightly more similar to emphasize that the cabinets come out at that point. I'd either remove the outlets or make them more prominent. I don't like things being just half there. Know what I mean?

I'm just adding my opinions from an aesthetic standpoint. I almost never work on interiors, but I really like architecture quite a lot. If I had my choice, I'd work on this kind of stuff all day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 AM

Hmmm, a quick way of fixing this...
I'd pay attention to a lot of what kav said – aesthetically speaking it needs more than the steel work.

To fix the streaks on the fridge – quickly – i'd run a dust and scratches with a setting where they just disappear and become a uniform surface; then mask this carefully, paying attention to keep the edges intact. The DS will ruin your edges.
Then I'd create a blank grey SL layer, run a Renders>Fibers filter to the point when I'd get the natural look of streaked brush steel. Set this layer to 4-5% opacity (or to taste) and then D&B to your heart's content.
See the link below, it might suffice for your purposes. I fixed a bit of the oven faces as well, using the same method. Though mine could do with more accurate masking and a bit more D&B

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/2781/mg1395flat.png

Cheers
Eddie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching