RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dan Margulis and his curves Philosophy...need help

Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM

Re: Dan Margulis and his curves Philosophy...need

My thanks also to Pictus for the link to the on-line ICC profile viewer. That's a great find. I've been looking for a utility to do that ever since departing Windows XP, which had a crude profile mapper that disappeared in Windows 7.

With it I am able to compare the print profiles of different printer/paper combinations. Specifically, for the first time I can measure how much better my Espon 3880 is compared to the old Epson 2200 it replaced.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Patron

Redcrown,

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymania View Post
Good stuff guys. Robert, I have his Lab color book and am going to read it next.
Andy,

Good idea. It's awesome. Dan Margulis is a genius and fully deserves his industry-wide acclaim.

Not 100% of everything he teaches will be useful or right for you, but that's true of anyone who tells you anything. No one has all the answers. But he presents a powerful toolkit that's opened up a lot of creative doors for me, saved me untold time, effort and frustration and taught me a good number of very useful things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
Redcrown,

Agreed.

Andy,

Good idea. It's awesome. Dan Margulis is a genius and fully deserves his industry-wide acclaim.

Not 100% of everything he teaches will be useful or right for you, but that's true of anyone who tells you anything. No one has all the answers. But he presents a powerful toolkit that's opened up a lot of creative doors for me, saved me untold time, effort and frustration and taught me a good number of very useful things.

Robert,

Good points Sir. The only thing which I didn't quite comprehend and something Andrew and I were discussing was the concept of Dan mentioning to stay away ( We are talking about RGB mode btw) from the composite curve and to alter the RGB channels individually. If I boost one channel curve then I have to boost the other channels to compensate for the hue shift. So why not just use the master curve which raises all three channels evenly?

You probably saw the earlier posts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Patron

Andy,

Yes, saw those posts. True enough and good observation about the composite curve. Everyone has their preferences, the way they like to work and a set of practices that works best for them. Some will be optimal for us, some will not. I'm guessing that in Dan's case he probably needed to take that approach for some reason early on, presumably up until the time he wrote his Photoshop book. He found an approach that worked for him and stuck with that and recommended it.

Photoshop's changed and improved and expanded since then and no matter who is suggesting what, we should always see how it works for us personally. There are many suggestions from experts I've used as-is, a number where I've used their approach as a starting point and either had to adapt it to my needs or I've come up with a better way to do it (at least for me), and some suggestions I've had to reject entirely because they didn't/don't work for me.

That's the beauty and challenge of what we do, there are often many ways to achieve the same objective. We just need to pick the one that works best for us.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 04-27-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Well said Robert. Since I only know the basic principles of LAB color space (such as darkness and lightness can be regulated separately from the color aspect and that the color gamut is massive...) what do you like the most about this color space and how has it transformed your work flow? I curious because I hear many people who read Dan's book on LAB color really had their work flows changed quite a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Patron

Thanks, Andy. The main benefits I've realized are:
  • Separating lightness and hue. The impact of hue changes is a lot less with LAB vs. RGB/CMYK. That's very useful.
  • Boosting contrast and saturation without hue changes. In the first chapter Dan shows you how to boost saturation easily with simple curve adjustments.
  • Separations of colors. For example, LAB enables you to take a forest scene and tease a greater variety of shades of green out of it than you can get using RGB. Same with other colors.
  • Different color effects than RGB. This is one that is hard to explain, you just have to see it.... It's a favorite benefit of mine (I love color!)
  • 5 color controls instead of 3. Yellow, Blue, Magenta, Green + Lightness vs. R,G,B
  • The color axes are complementary colors. Magenta/Green and Blue/Yellow. That's very convenient and intuitive. R,G,B are on a "sort-of" triangle vs. each other it's not intuitively clear how you affect G and B when you move the R curve. With Lab, its intuitive and easy to understand. When you move the blue half of the B curve you affect blues, pretty straightforward.
  • Can do effects w/ combination of A and B curves that are tough to do in RGB or maybe not even possible.
  • Easy to use and understand. Intuitive and clear, easy to use.
Again, after experimentation I use LAB for my fine art landscapes and RGB for my fine art portraits. I'm still learning more about both color spaces (and I'll need CMYK for business cards or printed brochures I'm sure) and now I'm using more combinations of the color spaces for my final products.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching