Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pale Skin, How do you accomplish this?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Pale Skin, How do you accomplish this?

I have two questions please:

1. I would like to know how one can accomplish de-saturated skin like the image I have posted? If you have a link to a tutorial, please submit it.
2. Where can I find art work such as the wavy pinkish image that is on top of the model's shoulder and hand?

Please note this image is not mine and is only posted here as a reference.

Thank You very much in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample_Image_RP1.jpg (79.3 KB, 210 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 AM
Re: Pale Skin, How do you accomplish this?

One starting point is to use 3 adjustement layers of channel mixer, each one set to monochrome.

Layer 1 - normal blend - 30% opacity --> this brings desaturation
Layer 2 - screen blend - 40% opacity --> this enhance lightness
Layer 3 - softlight blend - 40 % opacity --> this is for contrast

Play with opacity to taste.

Of course, there are other ways to do and refine this. But it's a starting point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 AM

Ronfya...nice tip....where did this come from for you? did you figure it out or passed down to you from someone else? I've just never played with different layers of the channel mixer with different blend modes and would probably have never done so on my own...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM

That's a start, you also forgot to state that the "normal" one needs to be set to monochrome.

And it's an image that was shot quite flat with really soft light.

Also, I see a magenta cast over the entire skintone.

And there has been some further lightening via DNB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 AM

H/S adjustment layer and set saturation to -100 and change blend mode to soft light. Adjust opacity
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM

You can't assume it'll be a couple global adjustment layers. First off I wouldn't add too much contrast before attempting this, and you're going to need real masking skills to do this. When you look at the image, I want you to take in eyes, lips,jewelry, shadows, clothing, background, and hair as separate elements, because any one of them can require separate tweaking. Let's say you went with screen on an adjustment layer as that was suggested. This doesn't guarantee perfect color. This doesn't mean his numbers will hit the right percentage. That won't give you the nice shading along the cheeks/jaw. The eyes will look misty if it's applied to them like that. The same will happen with the lips and hair. The background may need something of its own depending on where you start. The point is that being able to get the right skin density in the softer areas is just part of what you're trying to achieve. There's more to it, and your image will probably require different steps than this one.

I suggest asking questions like this in context or on smaller details. There are some steps that are often reused, but it's a mistake to think that everything is applied to the image as a whole.

Edit: you can create elements like the wavy pink lines if you like. I'd probably start with path strokes and gradient shapes and refine them from there. It's not just a couple steps though. You block in the basic shape, but there can be a lot of detailing to get the flow just right. You're not going to find a good tutorial on such a thing anywhere, although worth1000 has a lot of amusing stuff like that.

Last comment is that desaturated skin can be obtained by lowering saturation and adjusting the color balance. It's just much of the time people become focused on the low skin saturation rather than the other things that are making it work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching