RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do i achieve this effect?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 PM

How do i achieve this effect?

Just wondering how i can create this effect.

Thanks for all help

http://maxtegman.deviantart.com/art/...trow-207115112
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Re: How do i achieve this effect?

It's a very unique technique. I don't see any obvious clues as to which of dozens of tools he might use. My guess is that part of the method involves "simplifying." There are a number of ways to achieve this including the Topaz Simplify and Topaz Clean plugins as well as the Photoshop Blur > Surface blur filter. Possibly some Smudge Painting in Photoshop or equivalent results using Corel Painter.

If you read his blog he makes a point of insisting that he will never reveal his methods in a tutorial. This is because he's developed his own method while crafting over 1,000 photo interpretations.

Sorry I could not be more specific. He's very good at what he does.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Looks a bit like it's edited with Postworkshop...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
It's a very unique technique. I don't see any obvious clues as to which of dozens of tools he might use. My guess is that part of the method involves "simplifying." There are a number of ways to achieve this including the Topaz Simplify and Topaz Clean plugins as well as the Photoshop Blur > Surface blur filter. Possibly some Smudge Painting in Photoshop or equivalent results using Corel Painter.
I don't entirely agree with surface blur. At least I wouldn't use it. I'd start off removing the background. It has a few strokes on it, but it definitely has very little going on. I'd use something like a gradient map in color mode to get the approximate color palette. Even if I ended up deleting whatever methods were used there later, it's good to have a couple points of similarity before you really get into it. I don't know if he's custom texturing the skin. For that i'd make a few custom brushes. Circular brushes really aren't ideal for this kind of stuff. Brush shape matters less once you get down to really small details and you brushes are only a few pixels in width, but blocking in some of that texture would be best done with custom ones unless the original texture is doing it for you. Lips and eyeballs look like they're most likely photographic and retouched. You would have to match the contrast range of the rest of it. The highlights like in the lips and pupils can be adjusted as necessary. I don't know how they made the hair, but I could paint that from scratch. For the kind of papery texture, there are filters available that people have made, or you can draw it on real paper, scan that, and high pass it to grab the texture detail.

Anyway typically when you see something unique, you won't get it by a series of filters. If it was easy to do that, many others would have already repeated it. If you look at his site, he developed his thing over time. If you're testing it on that many photos, you'll get good at it. I'm only mentioning a few things that are likely to take you in the right direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 AM

I agree, it's a judicious use of a combination of filters and some hand painting.

It's easy enough to recognize the 45 degree motion blur to create the lines in the background, and maybe pixelbender for the hair and how the whole image is color toned with a gradient map. The pattern stamp could have been used to make the edges.

But I have no idea how he achieved the paper texture or the water color effect on her clothes.

This was a fun image to try and reverse engineer.

Beautiful picture of Susan Coffey courtesy Marcus Ranum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverseengineer.jpg (90.5 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasturtium View Post
I agree, it's a judicious use of a combination of filters and some hand painting.

It's easy enough to recognize the 45 degree motion blur to create the lines in the background, and maybe pixelbender for the hair and how the whole image is color toned with a gradient map. The pattern stamp could have been used to make the edges.

But I have no idea how he achieved the paper texture or the water color effect on her clothes.

This was a fun image to try and reverse engineer.

Beautiful picture of Susan Coffey courtesy Marcus Ranum.
I like your reply Naturtium. From the sample image (link)that Eastflower posted, I can only say that it's a combination of plug-ins, manual techniques and the use of water color brushes. I see the use of bluring, burning, simplified edges, and coloring layers, erasing and sharpening. I apologize for not posting an image time is my enemy. As with any technique, time, try-out, and a good eye can take you to a somewhat result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM

very nice picture i wish i could achieve that technique
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM

I keep trying to figure out that watercolor/paper texture. My brain just won't leave this alone, lol. I start working on something else and it turns into another attempt at this technique.

FF watercolor gets kind of/sort of close to the water color texture

stock image courtesy Photographer: Rune Hammelstrup
gorgeous model: MariaAmanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasturtium View Post
I keep trying to figure out that watercolor/paper texture. My brain just won't leave this alone, lol. I start working on something else and it turns into another attempt at this technique.

FF watercolor gets kind of/sort of close to the water color texture

stock image courtesy Photographer: Rune Hammelstrup
gorgeous model: MariaAmanda
While I'm a fan of doing everything by hand for maximum control, I actually like this.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching