RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to do this advertising look?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Re: How to do this advertising look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaxxxxxx View Post
so.. what was these images shot with?
http://www.amazon.com/MD-CL-FUNSAVER.../dp/B001O8KGTW
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM

you'll figure it out.

It takes time to build your kit. do some research and you'll start finding you start leaning one direction.

I shoot Canon because Im used to it really and for the video features they came out with but nikon will do that now too. I couldnt afford to have a good stills and decent video camera so it was a nice option for me and I really like the 1d when I get the chance to shoot with it. One brand isnt really better than the other and it will come down to personal preference. they have differences, and really they're just going to put out a better camera next year anyway so get one you're going to have good lenses for and is appropriate for your needs.
I really like Leicas too but they are crazy expensive and I havent shot with it but the newest fuji xpro1 looks like a nice camera to do a lot with. It can be nice to have a smaller rangefinder type camera too. Images ive seen from it look pretty good and I like that they took the body of the old contax.

start with what you have and get the basics, you can still take great images with the 500d and you'll figure out if its something you're that serious about to put in the money on. if you can get your hands on some of the nicer cameras play around with them and see what you like.

start simple, shoot what interests you and you can do a lot with natural light. first thing I got was a speedlight and a reflector.
and if shooting large ad campaigns is what interests you you can always look into assisting, its a great way to learn while making money too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphilsantos View Post

What do you call this effect? and how do you do it?
You don't really call it an effect. The problem is asking the wrong questions at times. The photos aren't identical. They follow a similar style, but if you were really really trying to understand someone's work, ideally you'd try to retrace their steps. You can dissect quite a bit from looking at the images. Someone mentioned a behind the scenes. That should provide some additional information, but much of it comes down to figuring out the lighting, getting the cleanest possible results there to minimize headaches later. Then you look at it and think okay he emphasized highlights along this part of the lighting like this, no the shadows are definitely warmer there. It's stuff like that. If you're comparing to reference, you can tell a lot about their choices even if you don't use the exact same tools and actions.

If you don't understand the breakdown of the visuals, that is an independent problem from not being sure how to nail smaller technical details without problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataflow View Post
look at hdr for that kind of effect.
you dont need a good camera
This has absolutely nothing to do with hdr. The photos are composites, and they allowed them to take on some slightly surreal qualities where areas that you might visually expect deep shadows retain full detail. Calling it an hdr effect is just going to confuse them.

If they're shooting all of the elements for a comp, there are a lot of ways to help ensure reasonable accuracy. You can shoot a spherical pano or hdr pano to give whoever is comping it more reference regarding the position of the sun, the overall lighting of the scene, and an idea of what off camera objects might reflect into the scene if this was being shot fully on location. You can get references for reflections and length/hardness of shadows to help when it comes to building shadows for the comped elements. There are plenty of things to ease the flow of the work. It's just not helpful trying to reduce it to such a simple answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
Achieving a look like this is less about what camera is used and more about how the images are lit and composed. From watching the behind the scenes video, it looks like he's shooting with some variation of a Canon 5D (Mark2 or 3 etc) which will produce a good size image to start with. If you really need a huge file, you can always rent a high end camera instead of buying one. Sayin.

Same goes with the post processing. Even if there are third party plug-ins being used(not necessary to achieve this look, btw), they still have to be carefully composited together by hand.
You already know my opinion on much of this. Personally I used to find out of the camera, digital back files often felt like they had more depth, especially in shadows or the way they'd resolve semi translucent things like eyes. Skin often felt flatter when I'd see dslr vs. digital back photos shot by the same guys. Cameras like the 5D though have really bridged that gap quite a lot, and a little post work or adjustment in technique can make them look way closer than you could get a few years ago unless we're talking about really nice printing at larger sizes. I need to check out the MKIII. I want to know how much the extra dynamic range helps.

I think it may be difficult for people to look and try something like this themselves, especially when it comes to gathering all the shots, but looking at it as an effect of sorts is just too limiting when you need clean cutouts of the appropriate elements, then each one may be tweaked individually. It looks like the basis for much of this lighting was set up during the shooting stages prior to being accentuated in post. Some of the mixed lighting could have been done with gels too. It would have made more sense if the OP asked how to handle a technical problem encountered when trying to recreate something similar. There's just no real way to get it without understanding that any given element of that comp can be adjusted as needed, so there's no way to reduce that to a template.

It makes more sense to test and refine, like if they're having issues defringing the green screen or keeping the falloff of a highlight from looking too painted, that could be a technical issue. I think they need to be comfortable with changing almost anything about a photo including swapping things in or out. There also seems to be a lack of emphasis in this thread on the art direction. It's obvious that the background elements and colors didn't end up that way randomly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaxxxxxx View Post
so.. what was these images shot with?
It doesn't really matter. You should just use something you can afford to buy or rent. Digital medium format/digital backs do still produce really nice results, but I see a lot of nice stuff produced on the smaller dslrs. They're capable of producing some really nice results.

I should include here, when I see a good photo, I never care what camera was used unless it's a case of I can't get that level of detail from what I'm using, and I'm interested in testing that model as an upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
You don't really call it an effect. The problem is asking the wrong questions at times.
you should check out the full posts before adding something thats just going to confuse the guy.

effect works just as good as any other question, you know what he means, and it s perfectly legitimate question for any image really.

hes not trouble shooting problems hes having with the effect he didnt know how to approach it and has very limited gear.

Plenty of the the provided references give good guiding points to start experimenting and have a better understanding.

asking a question about avoiding technical problems in trying a similar technique isnt what the question was or else thats what he would have asked and I dont really think thats a better phrasing of the question. Its a popular and common effect... ahem.. technique and theres no shame in asking about it.

Im pretty sure even the photographer who took these wasn't gathering " references for reflections and length/hardness of shadows to help when it comes to building shadows." He just good at the technique probably due to a lot of trial and error and practice to get it the way he likes it.

HDR can be part of building the effect and understanding the effect, especially for the background plates so it is good to look into, just know it gets misused quite a bit. I also dont think its an accident theres a lack of mentioning Art Direction.

Santos! Go nuts man, try it. even if you understood half of what Kav was talking about you're still not going to know until you try it and practice it and put in the time. then you'll figure out whats not working for you.

its really not as complicate as all that stuff.. unless you want it to be, then it can be very easily.

Your own taste will rule out a lot of things and it does take some time to get good at things youve even seen an exact step by step how to of. Then you'll get yourself into "damnit why are my shadows junk." fret not about that, the more you go into photography the more you'll become obsessive about certain things and youll start to look at it differently.

You did pick good examples of this style and not everyone does that so you know what you want it to look like.

now go experiment.

also heres some more tutorial to help inspire in your composites rather than deter

http://design.creativefan.com/make-a...poster-design/

http://www.photoshopdaily.co.uk/news...-billybonkers/

http://www.pxleyes.com/tutorial/phot...-Portrait.html

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ph...at-photograph/

http://layersmagazine.com/planet-pho...-channels.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 AM

if you really wanted to go nuts you could try and do it this way
http://www.americanprideandpassion.com/

no one ever shows the compositing side of things
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 AM

Right on Rpo!!!! Couldnt put it better my self. Dont drown people with to much theory before they even get startet. Go a head and try. 2- 3 light setup and your 500 d. I recommend buying the lights first . You are not getting any effect like the images u link to with a expensive camera and no lights. For me photography is all about flashlight , learning where and how to use/place them ect..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Maybe i sounded alittel bit harsh here .. Sorry for that. I dont want to start a war here. I just got littel carried a way remembering when ii use to ask questions and still do about photography and sometimes get very complicated, technical , theoretical answers i cannot use in practical work. For me photography must not get to theoretic. Sorry my english sucks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r*po View Post
you should check out the full posts before adding something thats just going to confuse the guy.

effect works just as good as any other question, you know what he means, and it s perfectly legitimate question for any image really.
Your links are good. The problem with the word "effect" is that there is a tendency to see these things as a combination of filters and moderately global adjustments which can really inhibit understanding them. That was my concern. You're right that hdr is amazing for backplates as it gives you a lot to work with. You can tune it any way you want. 32 bit support is still bleh in photoshop. They add in IBL on their weird 3d toolkit, yet hdr (which would typically be used for IBL) is still annoying to work with there. In the case of these comps, it looks like each element was shot separately. They were exposed for full details though. You don't really have some of the deeper shadow falloffs, and you see detail where it's not always expected. HDR is just a familiar term for this because so many people used it to create nearly shadowless scenes.

I wasn't trying to be confusing when it came to talking about reference. Your eyes are fooled easily, and they forget stuff. Having extra reference immediately available makes it easier, not more complicated. You could be staring at something going uhhhh what's wrong with the shadow, and you can refer back to initial shadow references. Obviously they won't always be what you want, but knowing how it would have looked can help identify problems and maintain good consistency. While it's obvious that much of this stuff is supposed to be a bit surreal, some things should be really deliberate, and you've got to consistently nail points to get it believable. Like you want some level of consistency between shadows and highlights across elements that you're using outside of areas of extreme lighting. There has to be somewhat of a connection there. You want things to be scaled correctly, and perspective needs to make sense. The main lighting should also be traceable to some degree. Like the sun is coming from this angle, so expect highlights here and here. There's obviously cheating, but you don't want something to be obviously missing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 AM

Yeah I am already trying different stuffs using the knowledge that I learned from reading books and watching videos from different people like scott kelby , gry garness, RC Conception , Matt Q, (photoshop guys)

I guess I just really need to buy some real lights.

here is my portfolio for retouching

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Retouching/3774988

can anyone critique it. Tell me my goods and bads.

Notes:
I did those shots with a
500D camera
kit lens 18-55mm
Ring light ( I used it in some photo and I didn't attach it to the camera I played with it by holding it and setting the camera for a timer)
Photoshop for retouching
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 AM

I have come pretty close to this look, depending on the image, using Topaz Adjust. Lots to work with there, with possible touch up using your graphics program.

Steve C
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching