RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to do this advertising look?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:21 PM

How to do this advertising look?

I've been seeing this kind of effects mostly in advertisements

Here are examples of what I am talking about

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Star-...mpaign/3371971

What do you call this effect? and how do you do it?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Re: How to do this advertising look?

that's a pretty intensive light setup.

also to get good clarity you should use a pretty serious camera, not to say you cant do it well enough with the more prosumer friendly dslrs.

I just saw theres a "behind the scenes" which shows you a lot. you can see the lighting and it looks like hes using a 1d. The lighting will do a lot of the shaping and you'd notice it even with just playing with contrast. you can pull more out of it though by copying some of the channels or using a custom black and white of the image overlaying it. there's a good amount of dodging and burning and you can even toy with the hdr, just dont go too crazy there. then sharpen probably more than sensible.

you can also see he shot the figures separate from the backgrounds. you dont have to do it this way but its very common and then its compositing the images and using the same treatment on those layers so it matches. The main reason for compositing is so you can focusing on exposing one aspect and also create environments that just don't exist.

not my favorite look but it has its uses and is used a lot for sports and product advertising.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 AM

Thank you for reply and explanation. So i guess I can not really achieve something like that with my 500D.

Can you suggest what camera I should buy that is not super expensive like Nikon D3?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphilsantos View Post
Thank you for reply and explanation. So i guess I can not really achieve something like that with my 500D.

Can you suggest what camera I should buy that is not super expensive like Nikon D3?
look at hdr for that kind of effect.
you dont need a good camera
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM

yes of course you can do this with your 500d . have nothing to do with mega pixels. these images you show here is in size of 600x400 pix. if you want to blow up images to 1mx1m then you might need a medium format camera. people who keep telling you need this and that high end gear knows nothing about flash lightning and the right tools to use in photoshop. So what u need is this: 2 to 3 light setup and it dosent have to be studio flash. can be done with speed lights and then know how to use color tools and especially the burn and dodge methods in PS. personally i use 50% grey layer set to soft light on skin and overlay on backgrounds ect. The best now a days its that u can shoot on background with a 3 light setup or two light setup, and then make a mask to do a final composite. then go out there and shoot whatever background that suits your needs . bringer together in photoshop. If your not that good at Ps shoot on location. remember to dodge and burn heavily to archive this effect. shoot background in HDR also... it is really not that tuff to make these kind of images as you think. just remember to do the first part in camera/flash light then you have all sorts of possibilities.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Achieving a look like this is less about what camera is used and more about how the images are lit and composed. From watching the behind the scenes video, it looks like he's shooting with some variation of a Canon 5D (Mark2 or 3 etc) which will produce a good size image to start with. If you really need a huge file, you can always rent a high end camera instead of buying one. Sayin.

Same goes with the post processing. Even if there are third party plug-ins being used(not necessary to achieve this look, btw), they still have to be carefully composited together by hand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaxxxxxx View Post
yes of course you can do this with your 500d . have nothing to do with mega pixels. these images you show here is in size of 600x400 pix. if you want to blow up images to 1mx1m then you might need a medium format camera. people who keep telling you need this and that high end gear knows nothing about flash lightning and the right tools to use in photoshop. So what u need is this: 2 to 3 light setup and it dosent have to be studio flash. can be done with speed lights and then know how to use color tools and especially the burn and dodge methods in PS. personally i use 50% grey layer set to soft light on skin and overlay on backgrounds ect. The best now a days its that u can shoot on background with a 3 light setup or two light setup, and then make a mask to do a final composite. then go out there and shoot whatever background that suits your needs . bringer together in photoshop. If your not that good at Ps shoot on location. remember to dodge and burn heavily to archive this effect. shoot background in HDR also... it is really not that tuff to make these kind of images as you think. just remember to do the first part in camera/flash light then you have all sorts of possibilities.
always someone...

yes, if you want to make small images that aren't as nice or clean you can even come close with a $500 camera with the right lighting and post.

You asked how to get this look, not how can I come close with a 500d.

there's much more to the higher end equipment than absurd megapixel numbers and people that brush that off aren't talking about making images for advertising. Professionals use professional gear because its better not because they like spending money on things they don't need.. You asked how to do an advertising setup, and a good camera with good glass and good lighting make a very very big difference.

the basics are the basics and a nicer camera isn't a substitute for that. but speedlights and photoshop aren't a substitute for professional gear, they just aren't. you're not going to get the nice lighting like your examples from just 2 speedlights, thats absurd.

I also didnt say anything against speedlights, they are great light sources if you are on a limited budget and their limitations aren't an issue. for this setup which is intensive to do correctly you can take your time to get the one shot you need, so sure you could use speedlights and the right modifiers if you wanted. however, use just 2 and you will have a very different lighting than your examples. You dont need to use the exact lights they did. light is about power, direction, coverage and color. The silver umbrellas spread the light out while adding a bit of that silver glow to the skin, on some of the others where you see a big softbox, that softens the light adds less of that glow and greats a more diffuse light, and you can get these for speed lights too.

if you are on a tight budget you're just going to have to get creative. I shoot a lot of stuff with just one speedlight and a reflector if I need some fill.

Terry richardson made a high fashion career using on camera flash or one speed light, but we arent talking about getting that look.

The video shows you the camera which could be a 5d, hell maybe a 7d, but not likely. and they show you the lights and that shows you a lot on how those images were actually made which is really cool of him to do and share.

You dont have access to that stuff that's fine.
These new rebels are pretty nice and you'll be able to get close enough with it if you are just wanting to play with it. If its for an actual job where you really want that extra sauce you can always rent gear but theres no point spending the money if you dont need to.

but the hyperreal illustrated look is more about the contouring from dodge and burn and hdr effects than the specific camera and in your examples which are nice examples of this method the lighting is a big factor.

quick search
for sports portrait lighting setup

shows something that may get you on track although not as good an example its the same concept and my clear up steps mentioned here.

http://www.photoflexlightingschool.c...ait/index.html

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/f...phy-portraits/

this shows you a 3 speed light setup version but you can see the difference in the lighting compared to your example and the hdr effect is a bit strong to force the look a bit. also looks like he shot this scene all in one shooting at the right time of day so the background was well lit too. It helps that it was overcast and he had those clouds for the background. If you don't have an overcast day like this dusk is great time to shoot things like this and get nice effects. This is a good example of achieving something similar with budget restrictions. your camera will do this no problem.

http://jonhaverstickstudio.com/2012/...ighting-setup/

AT one time I even made my own beauty dish for $12 from home depot shooting with a 20d. As good as shooting a 5d with a mola beauty dish? ...no
definitely not, but it was what I had to work with at the time and it worked fine, although the dish didn't last two uses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 05:06 PM

so.. what was these images shot with?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 PM

i mean the ones that op liked too..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM

Thank you everyone for this enriching conversations. Honestly I only have a camera (500D) and a computer for retouching. My budget was so limited because I was student but now that I am already graduated I will try to save up money by working and buy some lights (any recommendation? what should I buy first camera or light? I am also planning to shift brand to Nikon)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching